Cross processing Portra 400 in Pyro510

Wes Hall

Good morning all!

I've had a couple of rolls as per the title which I knew had blank frames due to a wind on issue with my Mamiya C3.

Not wanting to waste more cash and having some Pyro around....I thought...why not 😁

I'll share image of the negatives and pics later, but suffice to say as a negative they came out very nice- dense.

Would anyone else be able to shed some light on how or why the film has effectively developed with a positive visible on the emulsion side?

Development info:

1:100 Pyro 510
Temp:29/30c
Pre- wash (2 x 20 Inversions)
1 min continuous agitation (inversions) 10 sec every min.
8 min Total.
Water stop bath.

I do wonder if the fact I had no fix available (not precious images on these) has led to this effect?

Looks good to me! Er... probably a daft question but are the scans inverted or not...?
My dev knowledge is a bit sketchy - I wasn't sure from your description if they actually developed as positives or if the positive was a 'just visible' side effect, if you see what I mean.

Looks good to me! Er... probably a daft question but are the scans inverted or not...?
My dev knowledge is a bit sketchy - I wasn't sure from your description if they actually developed as positives or if the positive was a 'just visible' side effect, if you see what I mean.
Not at all daft considering what I'd originally said to confuse matters 😅.

These are inverted negatives, the positive was a just visible side effect, but I had thought to scan that side too in a bid to see how it digitised - just ran out of time to try in same sitting.

And thanks Stevenson, these are some of my most successful home scans I've achieved, using another lens hood to help shield leaking light, as well as show me what can come from colour film cross processed as black and white.

Back