Critique Welcomed Dark Sky Monochrome

Stevenson Gawen

So in the vein of my question to @Brian Moore about how he got the smooth inky sky in his Steamboat Rock post. I fiddled about for a while with settings and concluded that the look is obtained exactly how I thought - but you have to start with a suitable image!

Obvious I know, but I think I have attempted to get "that look" when the sky wasn't a deep blue to start with... you can sort of get it but have to really push the contrast and red channel. Doesn't look good and why would it really.
This little set is from a visit to the Orange Show (Orange, NSW not the colour) - it was the first set of photos I could lay my hands on with blue sky!
But I actually really like a couple of these so I thought I'd share them even though they are (obviously) not the kind of landscape I was originally thinking of. Thanks for looking!
Nikon D750, Tamron 70-200, processed in darktable.
DSC_5123_01.jpgDSC_5261.jpgDSC_5204.jpg
P.S. I compressed these a bit too hard I think - the gradations and detail have suffered a bit but the originals are nice and crisp.

Last edited:
What an impressive series. Unconventional to say the least (especially the third one). The sky turned out really nice, Stevenson. Especially in the middle picture.

Back