Dia De Los Muertos (Day Of The Dead)

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Down this neck of the woods, as well as the traditional Halloween celebrations I'm used to from Blighty, we also have the Dia De Los Muertos, from South of the Border.

More than 500 years ago, when the Spanish Conquistadors landed in what is now Mexico, they encountered natives practicing a ritual that seemed to mock death.

It was a ritual the indigenous people had been practicing at least 3,000 years. A ritual the Spaniards would try unsuccessfully to eradicate.

A ritual known today as Día de los Muertos, or Day of the Dead.

We went up to the local Catholic Mission - Mission San Luis Rey - and joined in the celebration. ;)

From the get go it was clear that there was nothing remotely morbid about the event - there were Mexican food stands, loud Mexican music, people in costume doing traditional dances, and about 20,000 people having a good time!

In the main courtyard at the Mission, there were a group of devils, wearing chaps, cracking whips as they danced to some crazy Mexican music...

web.jpg

No idea how they put up with the heat, or the deafening music!

In the parking lot were some of the most pimped out rides you've ever seen!

web.jpg

Including a nice pair... of wing mirrors!!

web.jpg

web.jpg

In the chapel, the candles were lit to remember the deceased...

web.jpg

And the cemetery wasn't taking pets..

web.jpg

And in the crowd, walking amongst us, were the dead...

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

It was one hell of a day :D

Great story and a fine series Chris (I'll even forgive the joke! ;)). The portraits of the dead are excellent. Very Nnicely shot and processed. I could imagine this being a nice little photobook if you had enough shots or at least a series for your site.

Great shots, Chris. I also like the dead photos. I think the tone you've given them works very well indeed. Very nice portraits.

Thanks chaps - I took my helper 'Phil Flash' along, to help balance the strong afternoon shadows - worked out nicely :D

I had to tell the couple with the umbrella not to smile - they were all cheesy and grinning at first! LOL

I had to tell the couple with the umbrella not to smile - they were all cheesy and grinning at first! LOL

I can see how that would have been a problem, Can say I've not seen many smiling corpses :)

Great stuff Chris. 20,000 people! that it just mental..

Mental would be the perfect description - parking was a nightmare, and the crowd was tough to get through, especially as my Spanish is muy pequeno!

I can of course handle the essentials such as ordering beer and food! :D :D :D

Back