Diamond ring

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
A nice ring
Shot with 5 flash guns and a whole lot of heavy weight white paper for diffusion and backdrop

_DSC83142.jpg

Yeah, that would be great mate ...
This one is Hannahs replacement engagement ring from Anja Potze... We are hoping to do something for them (hence the photo)

5 flash guns!!

Good job you have access to lots of kit Hamish ;)

Very nice shot - Anja Potze should be well happy

I have a sb 900 and 4 sb r200s

I have one of these

3479083522.jpg

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/speedlights/commander-kit-r1c1

With 2 extra sb r200's

The sb r200 is pretty much useless without a trigger ... It has no hotshoe, just a channel and group selector

You set the trigger (in this case the sb900) to the same channel then dial in their power per group. There are 3 groups, a, b and c so you can have up to three different levels of power. They can be set to TTL and have +/- 3 stops of comp. Auto, which I don't use and don't know what it does ... Or just set them manually between 1/1 and 1/128th power with 1/3 fractions of power between each setting. Using the sb900, you can also set it separately within the same parameters!

Nikon's CLS is very comprehensive really ...
I managed to pick up the kit I have (excluding the sb900) for £400 s/h ... I didn't need it at the time, but it's proved very useful once in a while!
I also have my old sb600 to chuck into the mix should I need to ... Pretty ott flash set up really :)

As far as this shot is concerned, I think it's a work in progress, there is too much reflection off the near edge and bottom of the ring, but that could be solved by diffusing the light from the 900 a bit better! I wanted something a little different to show her to see what she thinks. I think this is a little more "contemporary" compared to the more traditional stuff she has already ... It's also not perfect which is a good place to start I think ;)
Should really sy this sort of thing on an open forum should I ...

12" light tent Hamish - you'd be golden at that point ;)

I think with highly reflective objects you take off the front panel at one side, and give yourself a controllable dark area in the reflection.

This can help break up the diffusion effect with a good solid black line.

The diffusion of the tent would sort your reflection problem on the rest of the ring.

Might also be worth lighting from below for a different look.

It is actually lit from the back/below slightly ...
I'll have to dog my tent back out and have another play I think ... Your watch shots were certainly better than what I had achieved with my tent!
I should have taken some photos of my set up for this shot really ... I'll remember next time!

I think I'm in agreement with everyone here, The shots great but the reflection is very off putting.

Dogging, Flashing, Rings! What are you like! My light tent normally gets used as a reflector or a diffuser. I could do wth getting my self in gear and learning how to use it properly. I agree about the reflection but discounted that I like the overall image and the clean PP used.

Back