Dundas Street, Edinburgh...with shadows

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
We actually had a blue sky and brilliant sunshine last weekend. I took the Konica Hexar for a walk around Edinburgh's New Town, mainly Dundas Street, with Delta 400 and an orange filter. Ilford processed the film, which I scanned today.

It was a wonderful experience playing with deep shadows. Oh, for more sunshine!

1. Bench.

bench.jpg

2. Window Art

art.jpg

3. Edges Of What, of course

Edges Of What.jpg

4. Railing

shadow fence.jpg

5. Woodpile

woodpile.jpg

6. Framed. I remember immediately seeing the "figure" in the window on the left as being an inverse of the character in the painting. I still see that, but you might not. Maybe I'm dreaming.

painting.jpg

7. The Plant. It would have been great to have some weird character in the street on the left...

plant.jpg

What a fantastic set! A great great day for photography. I particularly like the second one, all the different lines and shapes contrast and compliment each other so well.

Love the shadow railings,...especially the crazy one in which your own shadow features. Gorgeous light in all of these. B&W can be stunningly beautiful sometimes and that shows here.

Rob,...a while back you had asked about scanners. What did you end up getting?

Thanks, Brian. Pleased with the entire roll, for once.

I bought the Epson Perfection V550, which seems to do a good-enough job, but does take time. But the film holders are too flimsy. One of them has cracked in one place, but is still functional. I'm not sure if you can get replacements, but for the moment it is all useable.

How about some photos, Brian? I miss your contributions.

Rob I have the V500. I've scanned thousands of images with it. You're right. The film holders are flimsy things. Never yet cracked one though.

How about some photos, Brian? I miss your contributions.
Very kind of you to say, Rob. Thank you. I'll have to muster something up.

Back