Easter vigil

Julian Tanase

Night of the Easter, in an orthodox churchyard, where the people in this village where I was on visit) are holding their vigil. Ancient tradition, deeply rooted in the orthodox religious belief. Very impressive, to see all these people here united by this custom. It is perhaps the most important religious event of the year; they use this vigil in order to meet with their friends and relatives, socializing quite a lot, swapping recipes and learn about what happened to X who left the village long time ago. The youngsters are present in large numbers, for them is a night when the parents are a bit lenient on them, regarding the hour of getting back home.

I was not exactly happy about the photographs taken that night, a lot of blur, which is understandable: people are not still most of the time. However, I do like this one very much, and I cannot put my finger on why. Perhaps the place and the occasion is at work here? No idea, but I do hope you like this one.

Nikkormat FT3, Svema Foto 400.

0103_025.jpg

The sense of community life and traditions is well expressed by this image. But there is not only a sense of participation here, there is also a feeling of suspended expectation. Tense, expressive, captivating, a perfect framing/crop. A very interesting and excellent photo, @Julian Tanase.

What Gianluca said...

...plus:

Photography and religion are about light, so this image cleverly celebrates both. So, hearty congratulations, Julian! But the devilish atheist inside me cannot fail to add that photography and the Enlightenment are also united by light. I don't ever expect religion to disappear - it is too embedded in our cultures - but I would and do appreciate other ways of marking important events, other ways of bringing our communities together. But I have to admit, religion has a head start in that regard. Sorry...more thoughts...religion can unite communities against other communities. This we know and fear. Beware the light you bring to the dark.

What Gianluca said...

...plus:

Photography and religion are about light, so this image cleverly celebrates both. So, hearty congratulations, Julian! But the devilish atheist inside me cannot fail to add that photography and the Enlightenment are also united by light. I don't ever expect religion to disappear - it is too embedded in our cultures - but I would and do appreciate other ways of marking important events, other ways of bringing our communities together. But I have to admit, religion has a head start in that regard. Sorry...more thoughts...religion can unite communities against other communities. This we know and fear. Beware the light you bring to the dark.

Rob, I live without gods too, but there are feelings in humans (that make us humans) that come before gods and I see them well represented in this photo. I don't see it as a ‘religious’ photo.

Sure, and I echoed your statement. But contributors here should expect their images to trigger thoughts in the observer, and I am often surprised by what people see in my images, and am happy if they discuss things not immediately connected with the images. Julian's excellent photo is liked in itself, but it also caused me to contemplate the role of religion in our communities, good and bad. I see no problem with that. We are all grown ups, I hope.

What Gianluca said...

...plus:

I am an atheist, not by design (born in the Orthodox church), but by conviction. I will be hard pressed to appreciate a religious event for what it stands for, seen from the Church point of view. What I look for in churches, monasteries, is the history of it, not the hand or words of this or that god. I am intrigued by the role of the religion in the resistance of a nation against an oppressor, so many times in our troubled past and even in present times. That said, it came at a cost, a huge cost: many societies became hermetic to development, be it social or cultural or historical, became intolerant and bigotry played/plays a large role. As you said: communities against communities, sort of "we'll bugger you coz we believe in the true god".

Take the map and circle the territories which were and are under the influence of the Western churches (catholic, protestant, reformats, calvin, etc). Now, circle the territories which were and still are under the influence of the Byzantine/Eastern Orthodox Church. Done? Look at the map now: you have a split Europe, in Western and Eastern halves. Look at the Western half: note what status and level of development the Western half has. Now look at the Eastern half: you'll notice that the countries within are those known for their lack of development, lack of proper education, lack of infrastructure, lack of international stability and credibility, lack of, well, those things that makes a nation stand tall and be counted. Hard to believe, right? This is what a backward and anachronic set of religious rules did to those in the East.

Of course, there is more to it than religion at work here, but I do believe the religion played a major role along the centuries in holding these Eastern countries pinned to the ground. True, the Western church/es were not angels either, but they had a different route and role in the development of the Western territories.

Sorry about ranting, just felt like I need to say these words. Glad I did !

Good words, Julian. I’ve only recently realised the obvious in the history of religious iconography: the Orthodox Church decided to not develop the subjects in a Humanistic way. So their saints have remained the same, without any attempt at realism or naturalness. They are supernatural, in a sense, other-worldly, beyond time, Heavenly. Whereas in the West, even as early as Giotto in the trecento, there was a move towards a more ‘life-like’ appearance of the characters, even Jesus and Mary. They could be one of us! This humanistic approach clearly allowed in personal interpretation in the Gospels by the artist and their patrons, including doubt and questioning, which it could be argued led to the Enlightenment of Hume and others.

With this is mind, and looking at your photo again, a new interpretation emerges. There is a Western Humanist portrayal of common people in a religious setting, but the light pushes the scene to the otherworldly, not in the tradition of Russian Orthodox imagery, but in the sense of the supernatural.

Hmm…I think I’d better have my breakfast before coming here!

Back