Every Day is Poppy Day

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
In the UK we remember those who died in battle – specifically but not exclusively the 1st World War – by purchasing poppies, usually paper ones, usually on the 11th November. I found these poppies on our traditional 1st January walk back in 2021, and have just come across them again. Most poppy shots are sentimental, but this shot somehow gives a feel of being close to a battlefield – at least in my imagination – and there's no reason why we have to restrict our remembrance to one day, although 11th November is the anniversary of the end of hostilities. What a needless waste. And now there is talk of another World War. There will be some soulless people seeing it as a time to invest in armaments...and on it goes. Each poppy represents a life lost.

branches2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the one thing I hate in photography is colour popping, and as the rest of the scene was very dark, somber and black, the result might have approached colour popping.

But there’s something else too. We all know what a poppy looks like, and as in Peter’s beautiful example above, they tend to dominate the scene. I would not have wanted that to happen in this case. It might have rendered it a ‘pretty scene’. I’m not interested in prettiness for its own sake. My image is to my eyes more dreamlike, as if the poppies really are spirits, not just pretty flowers.

I’m sorry gentlemen all, I completely disagree!

But you’re still my pals, so don’t cry 😎

Well, the one thing I hate in photography is colour popping, and as the rest of the scene was very dark, somber and black, the result might have approached colour popping.

But there’s something else too. We all know what a poppy looks like, and as in Peter’s beautiful example above, they tend to dominate the scene. I would not have wanted that to happen in this case. It might have rendered it a ‘pretty scene’. I’m not interested in prettiness for its own sake. My image is to my eyes more dreamlike, as if the poppies really are spirits, not just pretty flowers.

Your answer is transparent and clear. But what prohibits a spirit from being in color?

I'll use my imagination then.

Just looked inside my imagination,...it's a REALLY beautiful fotie in color. 😋

maybe getting closer in on the poppies and having a little less background. i keep looking at the leaves on the right and wondering if they're poppies. or try a vertical crop so you've got just the poppies at the bottom and the vertical trees behind. the b&w doesn't bother me, i think you might be on to something in this shot.

Back