Critique Welcomed Excursions with my EXA

Peter Roberts

My EXA500 doesn't have much of a life. It normally sits at the back of the cabinet and rarely goes out. In addition to the usual EXA/Exakta quirks, not least the left hand shutter release, it's got a couple of its own. The shutter doesn't always cock when winding on and towards the end of a roll the film drifts off the guides.
Last weekend, however, Stefan Wilde and I had arranged to meet up in Greenwich. So in honour of the occasion and because it was German the EXA came with me. Circumnavigating the Cutty Sark several times while waiting for Stefan to arrive it became obvious that I wasn't the ony one looking for somebody or something.

IMG_0001 - Reduced.jpg
Seeking Stefan
So far so good and a very over-simplified account. The full story of our meeting deserves to be, and will be, worked up into a One Shot Story for 35mmc.

Suffice to say that as it had the best part of a roll of film left in it the EXA got treated to another outing when it accompanied me during the week on a regular walk.

IMG_0007 - Reduced.jpg
Fora as fauna

IMG_0013 - Reduced.jpg
Peeping Tom

IMG_0014 - Reduced.jpg
Galatea and lilies

IMG_0017 - Reduced.jpg
Going up
Given that it was only a 24 exposure film of which two frames were wasted when loading and three when the film drifted and finally snagged at the end I'm surprised that I managed to squeeze five half decent shots out of the temperamental old thing.

EXA500 / Zeiss (DDR) 50mm f2.8 / Yellow filter / Kentmere 400 / ID.11

When I was a kid a family friend visited and he had with him an EXA 500. I remember it vividly. It was my first infatuation! lol

But for its quirks it appears your EXA is still a capable shooter. Nice set of shots, Peter.

The shutter doesn't always cock
The shutter on the Perkeo is a manual cock.

In that top image, the reflections upper right (at first glance) looked to me like a horse or a llama... :oops: but I can see that it's just a group of folks. I like "Fora as fauna" but I think my favorite is "Going up" - I like the shadows on the stairs and I'm curious what I'd find in the conservatory at the top of the stairs.

Dear Peter, my better half and I have just returned from our trip and I'd just like to say how delightful and precious it was to see you! Also looking forward to the one shot story!

When I was a kid a family friend visited and he had with him an EXA 500. I remember it vividly. It was my first infatuation! lol

But for its quirks it appears your EXA is still a capable shooter. Nice set of shots, Peter.
Thanks Brian. I'm pleased you've got fond memories of an EXA 500. To paraphrase a song (I think), for all its faults I love it still.

The shutter on the Perkeo is a manual cock.

In that top image, the reflections upper right (at first glance) looked to me like a horse or a llama... :oops: but I can see that it's just a group of folks. I like "Fora as fauna" but I think my favorite is "Going up" - I like the shadows on the stairs and I'm curious what I'd find in the conservatory at the top of the stairs.
Thanks Gary.
The reflections in the glass around the hull of the Cutty Sark can cause some rather disconcerting and distorted effects. I always find it fun to try and capture some of them.
I'm glad you liked the stairs to the conservatory. I would like to think the original landscape designer was thinking "It's got to mature. Come back in a hundred years and you'll see it all at it's best".

Dear Peter, my better half and I have just returned from our trip and I'd just like to say how delightful and precious it was to see you! Also looking forward to the one shot story!
Dear Stefan.
Josie and I think the same about meeting you both. I'm sorry that with one thing and another our time in Greenwich was limited once we'd all finally got together. So much I would have liked to have showed you. Another time perhaps.
Robert sends his regards. He'll also feature in the One Shot Story!

While all look right as they should, my heart goes with Galatea. I know this sculpture, as I have seen it among the first things when I first visited Greenwich, and I noticed how Rubensian she looked. Those were the times when Cutty Sark was still untouched by the later flames, and the Admiralty was decked with Union Jack and flowers. Those were the times when St. George's Day was still celebrated without any political correctness involved. A long long long time ago.

Beautiful results from an old camera, Peter, congrats. Next, Portsmouth with Lord Nelson's Victory perhaps? Why not ??

While all look right as they should, my heart goes with Galatea. I know this sculpture, as I have seen it among the first things when I first visited Greenwich, and I noticed how Rubensian she looked. Those were the times when Cutty Sark was still untouched by the later flames, and the Admiralty was decked with Union Jack and flowers. Those were the times when St. George's Day was still celebrated without any political correctness involved. A long long long time ago.

Beautiful results from an old camera, Peter, congrats. Next, Portsmouth with Lord Nelson's Victory perhaps? Why not ??

HMS Victory is a splendid idea, I have been there the day before I met both Peter and Robert... He will know what I allude to. Anyway, HMS Victory is undergoing a much needed deep rebuild / restoration. It is today scheduled to be completed in 15 years, if I am not mistaking. Photographically speaking the bad news is, you can't take pictures of her in all her splendor. The good news is you can get views of her you won't be seeing for another couple of decades, when the next rebuild happens.

Thanks, Julian.
Your recollections go back a long, long time indeed. Galatea has been recently cleaned and looks more seductive than ever. Francis Chichester's Gypsy Moth is no longer next to the Cutty Sark. While the old Naval College may look a little austere now that actually may be how it looked when first built by Wren. The really good thing about it is that is the seat of the music faculty of the University of Greenwich. It is a real pleasure the wander around its precincts hearing the students practise.

As for the EXA, she really does deserve better than to be gathering dust.

Back