'Father of modern Scots photography' Joseph McKenzie dies

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
'Father of modern Scots photography' Joseph McKenzie dies

LINK

Trojan.jpg

I'd heard of Joe McKenzie, but not seen his work. If the above is anything to go by, he seems worth getting to know.

The dumper truck belongs to a discredited, corrupt company called Trojan. That company demolished half of Dundee, but it was eventually found out that it was paying vast sums of money to the Provost (mayor) and a number of councillors. They would be told that some rundown area would be developed. They'd buy it for a bag of chips, then sell it to the council for a fortune, with brown bags full of money going to the aforementioned councillors. The bastards even knocked down my birth place, which is right behind the truck, a tenement building on the Hawkhill. I watched them do it, with a six-pack of lager by my side.

So, this photo has a lot of resonance for me.

His website: http://www.josephmckenzie.com - well worth a visit, even though there are only five images on it!

It was a long time ago. I do remember feeling quite depressed. My parents had moved us (me and two elder sisters) into my mum's mum's flat. There were other extended family members there too - twelve of us all, squashed into a tenement flat. Poor Roman Catholics of Irish descent. My gran worked in the jute mills, while granddad couldn't find work. Outside toilet, no bath or shower. Some twenty years later I was at a party there (it was then a flat for students) having taken some magic mushrooms - that was one of the weirdest night's of my life!

There was a pub on the ground floor, and I was in the pub football team. We used to play on the ground you see being cleared in the fotie. We were definitely the worst team in the history of football, with players regularly puking-up (being sick) on the pitch, smoking joints, fags, drinking cans of lager, etc.

The 1960s building in the background is still there, an early example of Dundee's take on Brutalist architecture. It's accommodation for students. The university has grown all around it. Where our tenement stood there is now the University Sports Hall, amusing considering our pub team!

Memories!

Last edited:
I sent a message from their website, pleading with them to upload more images. I've just received this reply"

Dear Rob,
Thank you very much for your message, condolences and kind words.
My grandfather was an amazing man - I hope I can do him justice!
I will be posting more pictures over the next few weeks so will let you know when these go live,
All the best,
Rebecca McKenzie

Thanks, Ivar.

Just seen a small collection of photos by Paul Strand in the Scottish National Portrait Gallery - from his time in the Hebrides. I have his book of the same, but it's great to see them in the flesh, as it were.

Back