Field archery

Allan Batchelor

Not exactly action shots at moment but made a photo record of the course for the club and thought id share it for now....Action shots may follow in the future hehe

[video]https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t9hbkh3vqen8dj/Birkhill.mp4[/video]

Yes Pete the full competion rounds is 28 targets so you go round twice although some bigger clubs have a full course layout. No time limits but a gentle wander round takes about 1.5 - 2 hrs for the 14 targets and lots of banter.

I keep meaning to take some close up/abstracty photos of my bow but not done it yet

This is how the pros do it lol Pro Archery Series - presented by European Professional Archery

Come on Robin, get those shots on here...............

So Allan is this a big sport, we only ever seem to hear of the 'normal' target archery. :)

I think its deffp the poorer brother of Target archery but there does seem to be a fair few people doing it. My club has around 20 i think but theres a club down road in Fife has a membership of around a 100. Got a feeling its big in US of A as it follows more of there hunting style and hone there skills as its legal over there where as we arent allowed to use bows to hunt anything

Im sure i saw a website for a rather big club/organization in Throckmorton that does both target and field Kev
http://www.march-hare-archers.co.uk/

Last edited:
I started archery a few months ago, just started some target archery although quite a few members in the club shoot longbow and horse bows. I am planning on getting a Yumi, an English longbow and a horsebow of some sort, I would be interested in some field archery at some point once I have a horsebow but need to train up to get a decent poundage for the ranges I would be looking to shoot at.

What sort bow poundage you shooting at moment David? Im using a 34lb recurve and just got a 60lb compound thats tuned down to around 50 at moment till i get hang of it.

I can shoot my recurve at all the targets but struggle a little at the 1 long target at 80 but the 50-60 are a bit iffy accuracy wise till i get more practice but anything below 50 are easy enough to hit with pretty good accuracy

I would need to get a shorter bow for field archery, I don't think dense trees are ideal for a 7 foot bow lol

Robin the hood managed, mind you he also wore tights [doh] Mmmmm :D

Robin Hood would have had an English longbow which is probably over a foot shorter lol

Back