First Roll through Nikon F4 with 85mm 1.4 lens

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I'm delighted. I don't have much time before three hours of teaching ahead of me, so here are a few unedited other than resized. XP2, plus Hamish's 85mm 1.4 Nikon lens, and an eBay-acquired Nikon F4.

I didn't take much time over the compositions, as I wanted to fire a roll through it before telling the seller it had arrived. Given that, I'm very happy. Obviously I need to get more familiar with the lens, but...no more talk!

So annoyed I didn't get these two in focus!!!!!

Rhona3.jpg

Rhona1.jpg

Rhona2.jpg

Dad by daughter, at 1.4!

Rob by Rhona.jpg

Skylight.jpg

This weave goes all the way up a spiral staircase - Dovecot Tapestry Gallery:

Weave1.jpg

Urn.jpg

Weave 2.jpg

Statue.jpg

Last edited:
It was a Kodak shop, which I've only used once before with a Rollei experimental film, so I don't know how affected those shots were. It's easy fixed in Elements, of course.

Thanks, guys. I did have fun. Yes, it weighs a tonne, and I'll never have a pocket big enough for it, but I love its physicality. I'm going in the opposite direction from the general flow, it seems, but I'm enjoying it.

Thanks, guys. I did have fun. Yes, it weighs a tonne, and I'll never have a pocket big enough for it, but I love its physicality. I'm going in the opposite direction from the general flow, it seems, but I'm enjoying it.
That did cross my mind , something i love about pockatable camera is you don't have to play at being a photographer unless you wish to, and then no one takes you seriously which is nice, unlike carrying a strap hanging monster or a mountaineering rucksack. But the larger cameras often have there advantages.

The lens I sent you has arrived, here. :mad:See personal message. It seems you are doing fine with the 85mm which is great for portraits. Lovely model and I am not referring to the male one. 28mm in addition and you are ok. Cheers.

How strange. I got your PM too. I heard nothing. If no one is in, they leave a card - there has been no card. Hopefully next time it will reach me! Thanks for trying, Ivar!

Very much so, and the lens too. I went through another roll today, and will be sending that off to Ilford for developing at a much higher resolution than I get from the shops here. I also tried a few manual exposures today, so my fingers are crossed for them.
The light switch for the eyepiece is really welcome! Everything seems well placed for my big hands. It's certainly heavy, and today I used a tripod, something I should use more often. We are getting along just fine :)

Very much so, and the lens too. I went through another roll today, and will be sending that off to Ilford for developing at a much higher resolution than I get from the shops here. I also tried a few manual exposures today, so my fingers are crossed for them.
The light switch for the eyepiece is really welcome! Everything seems well placed for my big hands. It's certainly heavy, and today I used a tripod, something I should use more often. We are getting along just fine :)
Nice to see. A great camera for a man of your age and stature I believe:D

Back