Fitting 120 film into a 620 camera - guide

David Mitchell

Hi all,

A nice pile of Ilford 120 film arrived today, technically only my Sputnik camera can take it but I know that you can respool 120 onto a 620 spool etc but I had heard that you can fit 120 film into a 620 camera but use a 620 take up spool (the keyways are smaller) I have just managed to do this in my cheap Kodak Six-20 meaning that MF images are going to be cheap :D Please note that this works better if the feeding spool is spring loaded ie there is some takeup as the 120 film spool ends are about 1mm thicker than the 620's thin metal ends (the film is the same width, its just the spools that aren't) my Six-20 camera has a cheap spring loaded but certain 620 cameras will have issues as the body of the camera is smaller although it may still work.

Here is my 120 film, I got 2 cheaper Ilford HP5s and 5 Ilford Delta 400s which were recomended to me.

CIMG1035.jpg

Firstly try and fit the 120 film into the feeding side, it fits fine as in width ways but it was fouling the body of the Six-20 when I tried to put it in. This is due to the lipped edge on the 120 film that you might just see.

CIMG1036.jpg

I used some nail scissors and trimmed round the edge of the spool (basically aim the scissors at a tangent to the circle and use the tightly wound film as a guide so that the bottom part of the scissors runs over the paper backing) You can also see the correct 620 spool next to it:

CIMG1037.jpg

Once trimmed up its an exact match

CIMG1038.jpg

Now you need to check the clearance again by loading it in

CIMG1040.jpg

Mine feeds perfectly and doesn't foul the body of the camera (test fit)

CIMG1041.jpg

CIMG1043.jpg

Job done :D

CIMG1044.jpg

So this is my camera setup (and partly why I bought a slightly older Six-20 camera)

Pre 1953 Kodak Six-20
Ilford 120 film on the feed side
Empty 620 metal spool on the take up side

Equipment needed:

1 x 120 film
1 x pair of nail scissors (have seen nail clippers used)

Great stuff matey!
Looking froward to see the results!!

Same! Will see if that technique with regards to trimming the lip off causes any issues with light leaks etc just need to make sure I get that 620 spool back!

Excellent article there David. Looking forward to the results.

Same lol :D need to get them sent off to see the results for my first ever MF shots on roll film and the first time I have used a vintage camera lol I have a feeling they might not be the best lol

Nice one!!
Just bought a 620 Kodak folding brownie... Good tutorial there! :)

Nice one!!
Just bought a 620 Kodak folding brownie... Good tutorial there! :)

No worries, just check the fit before trimming the 120 film, mine was ok as there was enough space for the reel when the back was closed, I know some later 620 cameras don't quite have enough space, although it seems that my trimmed 120 reel is the same diameter as the 620 so it might be ok. Just test fit it and see, hopefully (like mine) it has a 620 reel in it already to use as the take up reel.

Back