Focussing one third in?

Stan Hesketh

Hi
As I progress with my recently acquired EOS 1100D I am learning quickly about RAW files etc.
One thing baffles me as I move over from film is an article I read recently about landscape photography and the recommendation to "focus one third in." Despite several attempts at understanding it I have failed and wondered if anybody could explain this technique to me? I am used to manual cameras (Spotmatic etc) and have always used the f numbers against the depth of field scale in the past. Sorry if this is old ground, but I am learning :)
Many thanks.

An odd concept, 1/3 in. The same approach you used with film will work with your digital Canon also. I suspect that the concept of the 1/3 in method is based around the asymmetric relationship between depth of field (DoF) and the point of 'true' focus; i.e. more behind than in from in about a 2:1 ratio. But if you don't have enough DoF with your chosen aperture to cover the area you are interested in, it's going to be out of focus. Maybe they assume you'll be shooting at f/16 or something.

Choosing where you want your focus to lay and how much should be in or out is one of the fundamentals of composition, as you know. The fundamentals of optics still count and your knowledge of aperture etc will serve you well I think.

It might be referring to something I figured out for myself. When shooting a landscape shot, I place the focal point not at infinity, or on the foreground, but on the ground one third in, closer to the foreground than the background...

Pete and Rob have explained it well. Digital also makes it a lot easier to use focus stacking. It works as well for landscapes as it does for macro photography.

The one thing I loved first off with digital is that for no extra expense, it is possible to click away and experiment as much as one wishes with time being the only restraint.

Back