Four Books and a Mag

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Bored tonight, and too tired to read, I felt slightly inspired to take quick shots of the four books and one magazine I'm in the process of reading, taken "au natural" in situ. How many do you know?

1. The latest edition of the Black + White Photography magazine:
B&W Mag.jpg
An occasional good read.

Along Some Rivers, conversations with Robert Adams:
Some Rivers.jpg
As I have undertaken a study of my local river, I inevitably have become aware of the writing and photography of Robert Adams. He is a passionate conservationist, and very talented natural photographer.

Facsimile edition of The Decisive Moment by HCB:
Decisive Moment.jpg
Henri Cartier-Bresson was one of the greatest snappers of the 20th century, and this facsimile of his first book is as good as the original, I'm informed.

What it says on the cover:
The Tulip.jpg
This is the best book on the history of the tulip, copiously illustrated. Recommended.

A magnificent find in the local Oxfam shop:
Erskine Beveridge.jpg
Erskine Beveridge was a wonderfully-talented late 19th-century Scottish photographer, whose day job as owner of the largest textile mill in Dunfermline, left him with days upon days of free time to indulge in his passions of archeology and photography, which he often combined. This book contains hundreds of his technically perfect images from glass plates.

Leica M9 Monochrom, 7Artisans 75mm 1.24 lens.

I like these sorts of shots and really should do some myself. Maybe we can make a theme - remember them?!

B&W is one of the magazines I subscribe to and is probably the best photography magazine out there in the UK I reckon: it is certainly better than the German equivalent. I also take BJP although I will cancel it this year (and maybe take the digital version instead) and Leica Photography International. LFI can be a bit patchy I find, but the photo-essays are usually good.

Hmm, I'm certainly tempted by the book on Tulips, and that last one looks to have been a good find.

I will take a couple snaps of the piles around me later.

I don't think we want to see images of you piles, Pete! :eek::eek::eek: Oh, you mean books :D

All of these books are worthy reads, for sure.

Yes, it could make for a good Forum Theme.

Back