Frame full o' Feathers

Paul Taylor

53451896191_2394c5fd8a_h.jpg

Peacock at a local park where they are allowed to be "open range."

Lumix G9 w/ Olympus 40-150 Pro

What is extraordinary is that both we and the female peacock can find beauty in the same single thing. But we are probably not seeing the same beauty. One wonders if there are other things we and the female peacock share appreciation with, if even for different reasons. What would be most wonderful is if we and the female peacock could share the same experience of beauty. But how would we know? I’m sure someone must have written a paper on inter-species evolutionary aesthetics! We do have our own male peacocks, of course, the Mick Jaggers and the like, but for the most part the human male is the duller of the two sexes (edit: Ugh, that is SO binary!). Evolution moves in mysterious ways…

Fine foto, Paul. File it under Selfies. :)

They are certainly gorgeous birds but man, you do NOT want to live near any!!

That park has probably 20-30 peacocks at any given time - and sounds like a herd of giant mutant cats in heat from the "howling" of the peacocks.

Hilarious mental image Beth, I've heard tales of male peacocks getting all Hunter S. Thompson like. Beautiful photo Paul.

I always laugh at people's first time reactions to the noise a peacock makes. Same with the bugling that an Elk makes. The "WTF was that" effect is fun.

You don't always have the time to choose inches in these circumstances. It's enough if you have the time to shoot. Isn't that so, @Gary Gruber?
Please understand: after 40+ years as a pro photographer, and tons of portrait work, my eye sees the correct level for camera placement quickly. This is an excellent photo of an often photographed bird.

However, to let the male dominate the photo, his eye level should be slightly above the camera lens. This very slight 'looming' effect has a dramatic rendering that enhances most portraits -- when people know what to look for.

Back