FRAZIERS SLIP THIS WEEK

Julian de'Courcy

Repairs have started on a locally built twenty three year old fishing boat. The boat got caught close inshore against strong surges from the prevailing winds a month ago. In the attempt of going astern at full power the engined took in water and the head blew, bent a few rods in the engine, stopping it dead, with the result that the boat ended ashore on a rocky beach where it filled with water from the waves entering the stern. Thankfully no one was injured. It lay there for a couple of tides with only the whell house top showing at high tide, the rolling on rocks as the tide came and went, cracked several ribs, partly sprung some planks which pebbles and stones entered to keep them apart and therefore allowed water to enter at will. A large local vessel went the next day and manage tow the boat of the next day, amazingly the pumps still worked and they managed to tow the boat back about ten nautical miles, so she could rest on Frazier s slip to be repaired. The boat is deemed a right off. This boat originally built by world renown boat builders father and son John and Peter Moor ,is now being repaired by boat restorer Ted Luck. Apart from the engine being rebuilt, the hull itself is having an extensive refit. New ribs of green oak are steamed and placed along side the cracked ones. The pebbles are removed which are keeping the planks apart which have now settled back to their former positions and any kind of damage in a few weeks will now be rectified and a fully capable vessel can sail again.
It demonstrates just how well a boat copes, made from natural materials and is built to the standard that John and Peter build all their vessels .

_P1M2740.jpg _P1M2732.jpg _P1M2678.jpg _P1M2665.jpg _P1M2807.jpg _P1M2733.jpg _8050035.jpg

LOVE the two hammer shots!

I feel I know this community now. Thanks, Julian.
Nice reportage :)

LOVE that blurry hammer! FAB shot.
Thank you both, the hammer one I have done in the past so was concious of what I hoped for and tried to gain an improvement over the last one. Maybe a series of hammer movements is in order.
Rob, I also like the still hammer amongst the fav's from Frazier's slip images I've done. Yet one of the outcomes from these was probably the gathering , which shows the sense of community and support that is often given , something not always overly obvious in today's high speed abstract world. Possibly the best reason for Scotland to go their own way and for us too get those ropes fast onto Landsend , hitch a few boats to them and tow Cornwall away from the mainland :D

Sounds like a plan!
It's been a plan as long as I can remember. As a kid they sold tourist post cards, depicting boats towing Cornwall away from Devon and the mainland. We are only adjoined by one county so aught to make things easier. But I understand the planners of this idea said they will do it Dreckly

I can only be a refrain to what's already been said and I appreciate how the community's getting together and how it is being documented here. Unlike Rob and Julian, I believe that smaller communities do have this attitude of togetherness when it's called for wherever you are. No need to tow anything away then:D I'm also glad to have seen a little bit of his environment Rob, ( would like to go back though, scared now huh? ). 'Cause it's always nice to compare similar environments I have come across regardless of which country. You'll always find something that they have in common. Very well done Julian, absolutely my kind of liking.

What can I add except more praise. As Dave say, a great piece of reportage and some super individual shots. Are they copper nails?
Thanks Pete. Yes copper nails, through narrow pre drilled holes in the planks so they will drive true into the new ribs being placed inside alongside the originals. The ribs are not pre drilled so the nails hold and once all the ribs are in place the nails are riveted off.

I can only be a refrain to what's already been said and I appreciate how the community's getting together and how it is being documented here. Unlike Rob and Julian, I believe that smaller communities do have this attitude of togetherness when it's called for wherever you are. No need to tow anything away then:D I'm also glad to have seen a little bit of his environment Rob, ( would like to go back though, scared now huh? ). 'Cause it's always nice to compare similar environments I have come across regardless of which country. You'll always find something that they have in common. Very well done Julian, absolutely my kind of liking.
Think you may misunderstand Ivar. The reason too be towed away is because we are a community and can stay that way, by being towed away from Westminster. We actually get far more support especially culturally and monetary from Europe than we ever had from Westminster , but mostly just get on with things.

Think you may misunderstand Ivar. The reason too be towed away is because we are a community and can stay that way, by being towed away from Westminster. We actually get far more support especially culturally and monetary from Europe than we ever had from Westminster , but mostly just get on with things.
My destiny I suppose:(

Wonderful set of images and its great to get the backstory too, Julian. I really like that blurred hammer shot also. (I'd love to see what they use to steam the green oak planks!)

Wonderful set of images and its great to get the backstory too, Julian. I really like that blurred hammer shot also. (I'd love to see what they use to steam the green oak planks!)
Brian take no notice of the gaffer ;). That is one interesting bit and change. In this case all was used was a tube of polythene about 6in diameter. The polythene is not unlike that used to cover poly tunnels, so it can be folded into a small package. The length of timber is placed into the polythene tube and each end you stick a wallpaper stripper that boils the water. The ends are tide of but steam does escape and needs to. A sleeping bag or some sort of insulation is lain over the whole caboodle to help keep the heat in. That is the Cornish way .
_P1M2746-1.jpg

Brian take no notice of the gaffer ;). That is one interesting bit and change. In this case all was used was a tube of polythene about 6in diameter. The polythene is not unlike that used to cover poly tunnels, so it can be folded into a small package. The length of timber is placed into the polythene tube and each end you stick a wallpaper stripper that boils the water. The ends are tide of but steam does escape and needs to. A sleeping bag or some sort of insulation is lain over the whole caboodle to help keep the heat in. That is the Cornish way .
Thank you Julian. It is nice to know that a sensible and sensitive person is available to answer what was really a very good question. (Askew: :p)

Back