John Moore's Boat Yard

Yes, back to your images, Julian. I really like this kind of craftsmen and women in-situ shot - not just reportage, but adding your own interpretation as well. I have a friend who makes small boats and kayaks, and also lutes - they are remarkably similar: (apologies for the size of the images - I'm just using a url from his website)

Rob I am sure somewhere down the line there is a very close link between boat building and instrument making. It could have been that boat builders did in spare time make instruments or visa versa.
Some one would know? The skills are the same, as is so much of the design principal. Mind , I'd rather go to sea in John Moore's boat that a lute .

Would have like to have had a go at building a boat on my own. I did at School as a project as a group, but it was not as intricate as a traditional build, very satisfying though.

I remember you mentioning that before, Pete. Still looking forward to it!

Here is another from my friend, Bill's website, showing the mould underpinning the bent strips (his photos).

img-20120730-000752.jpg

All has been said here as replies to your wonderful story telling and great pictures, so the only thing I can ad is, please give us more when you are able to. We all seem to treasure this. I know that I do.

Thanks for the additional pictures and information, Julian. After wondering about the steaming process I then wondered how do the shape the bend? (Actually bends,...because each plank bends across the grain as well as with it.) But I guess the ribs and spine of the hull serve as the mold and the steamed wood is clamped to it. Fascinating how the younger fellow sees nothing special in what they do,...they just do it. Excellent stuff, Julian. Thank you!

Back