Freezing At The Gas Station

Steve Boykin

My photographer instructor made me go out and do the "filter test" this AM. I've done nothing but shoot this church in Cameron for a week because it has 8/9 of 10 zones in the early AM. It was 23 degrees this AM. Apparently "we" were trying to determine the correct time/temperature for developing (now set at 68 degrees for 12 minutes in D76) and the correct ISO to rate the film at (now set at Fuji Acros 100 rated at ISO 200). I burned through three rolls of film doing this. Did I mention this involved a lot of math which I hate? It's basically the same shot on all three rolls with one blank shot to determine the correct time for the enlarger (8 seconds at F11, unless of course I need to burn then I have to do Math again) at a height of 16.5 inches.

If anyone ever wonders why digital photography is better, tell them to ask me.............

Anyway, it was butt breaking cold this AM with a pretty stout wind. I jumped out of the car and took these when I stopped for coffee in Rogers, TX. I managed to walk one block from the Cefco Diesel station before turning into an ice cube and running back to the car. Processed with VSCO Instant film pack out of spite. To my way of thinking currently, instant sure beats standing around in the cold and changing between red and yellow filters manipulating the aperture at 1/250........ :)

Apparently it will now be easy going forward provided....I read the meter correctly........ But....you have to take multiple readings then get this little wheel out to transfer the EV values to the zones on the wheel then you decide how you want to shoot it. Wow....

Dave assures me at some point I won't have to do all this.

Attachments

• 121002.jpg
    121002.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 16
  • 121005.jpg
    121005.jpg
    750 KB · Views: 15
  • 121006.jpg
    121006.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 121007.jpg
    121007.jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 121003.jpg
    121003.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 121004.jpg
    121004.jpg
    941.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 121001.jpg
    121001.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I like the cleaners, and the random arm - classic Steve shot that

I'll be hitting you up for a detailed post on zone exposure technique then?

I like the cleaners image a lot - I'm a sucker for the old painted advertising.

As someone who went through a rigorous Zone System phase many, many years ago, my personal opinion is that what you are describing is a lot more practical and useful with sheet film than a 35mm or 120 roll film camera.

Great set Steve some really good images. If picking, yes again the cleaners, my favourite is the detached doll's arm, that is a superb shot , out the top draw.

I like the cleaners, and the random arm - classic Steve shot that

I'll be hitting you up for a detailed post on zone exposure technique then?

I don't think I would be your guy...I'm struggling. It should have been only two rolls. I forgot to change the ISO/ASA on the meter and that set me back one roll..... :) Dave is a really great instructor and I understand what he is doing. Yes he is a bit old school, but if could see his prints you would understand why I'm willing to try and learn this stuff. He's a rancher now and only a prof to get out of the house away from his wife's quilting bees. He's an incredible photographer. He was also the head of the Imaging Dept at major hospital for years also. He does use a 4 X 5 as well as MF.

I think the biggest difficulty coming from digital is you just have to remember to write stuff down (which I am constantly forgetting to do) and you have to set everything manually. I use my Fuji cameras on Aperture priority because I know what I want in terms of DOF. Then I just set the ISO so I can make sure and get that aperture. I shoot everything at F8 unless it's my dogs then I use F2.8 or F4. So you just have to think a bit more. It should be easier going forward because I am only going to use Fuji Acros. There was a real point to why we did this and you can see it on the print. It was very different rated at ISO 200 and developed at 12 minutes instead of ISO 100 and 10.5 minutes. Huge difference.

If you are really serious I bet he would write something for you. We are going to be working together some over the holidays. We get two weeks off for Xmas and we are going out shooting a couple of days. He's also letting me use the lab.

To be honest the Mamiya I'm using has a pretty good meter on it, but if you really want to do it right you have to do it right. Once you understand how you seeing the zones you don't have to take as many readings. We had an Ansel Adams show near by recently I attended. It's not really my thing but they are AMAZING photographs. I really want to learn how to do this right.

I'll ask Dave next week. The book he has me reading is Chris Johnson's The Practical Zone System. Very good and easy to understand. I would highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Zone-System-Digital-Photography/dp/0240817028

I like the set Steve. It's fun to watch you learn.
AND all I can say about the cold weather complaints...A real Bostonian would never complain about the cold in front of a Southerner. Suck it up cupcake...just put on another t-shirt.

LMBO!!!!!!!!!!! You just made my day!!!!

Maybe your teacher never heard of the Sunny 16 Rule...? Makes life easy! :D

Very fine set as usual, Steve. I like the gas station one--its not something I would have thought to shoot in portrait orientation, and so along with the lively colors its an interesting perspective.

Maybe your teacher never heard of the Sunny 16 Rule...? Makes life easy! :D

Very fine set as usual, Steve. I like the gas station one--its not something I would have thought to shoot in portrait orientation, and so along with the lively colors its an interesting perspective.

I'll let you mention the Sunny 16 to Dave...... On second thought I will do it just to see what he says. I can't wait. :)

sounds like you have extra experience then. i'm interested in learning about the zone exposure technique too.

It's really not that hard if you do your tests right at the start and are organized (something I have a problem with). Dave is being very kind and going through some things with me that he isn't covering with the rest of the class. However, I am the only one in class shooting MF. It's all part of a process that leads to the final print so these tests are important. And...remembering the to set the correct ASA/ISO on th meter is pretty important if you want the tests to be accurate. To his credit, he has been very patient with me. He's a super person and a really great photographer (and he is hilarious). Amazing photographer too. He has this portrait in his office of his wife from about 1966. Its without a doubt one of the finest portraits I've ever seen. You just cannot do B/W like that with digital.

If you want I can loan you the Johnson book. I'm almost done with it. It's very well written and easy to understand.

Superb set Steve. The dolls arm is especially good and a nice contrast to the others.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the course and getting value out of the process. Establishing your speed etc for Akcros will bring benefits and allow you to get the best out of your exposures. And having that discipline in the background will help with visualising the final 'print'.

Back