Fuji X-pro1 --> Auto Iso

Dave Young

This is for the X-Pro1 users out there in RPF land.

I'm struggling a bit to get to grips with my X-Pro1 (focussing issues aside) ;)

It seems to me that my X-Pro seems to almost default to the highest Auto ISO rating I have it set on at times. Is this natural for the camera, am I doing something wrong, or is there a potential flaw with my body?

Looking through some of the images I shot yesterday in reasonable daylight (midday or so), it was shooting at 1/125 at f5.6 but the ISO was 1250, or 1000. I think the highest I recorded was 1/1000 at f/4 at ISO 1600!

These just seem crazy to me compared to what I'm used to with my old Canon set up, I'm wondering if this is normal or not...

What mode were you in Dave?

I use Auto ISO 6400 - and aperture priority mode - seems to work out the shutter speed just fine, and keep the ISO low

1/1000 sounds crazy high for a shutter speed when you have ISO 1600 - were you in P mode or something?

Does it not work like a Nikon? Set the ISO to auto then set the speed you want it to err toward ... I tend to set mine to "auto-ISO 100" so it try's to keep it low ... If I set it to "auto-ISO 3200" it would set the other settings around a preference for high ISO

I too use auto 3200 in aperture priority and have never seen this issue.

I 'think' I was in manual mode - finding my own shutter speeds with these. It just seems as of the camera almost defaults to its highest settings at times.

That would explain it - have a play with aperture priority, seems to be the way to go with AutoISO

I'll give it a try. I was using AP previously but moved into P & manual mode to try and be a little more adventurous :D

I've just found the 'back focussing' option which I like the option of as I got quite used to that with my old Canon set up. Then to confuse matters, someone suggested mashing the focus by simply pressing the shutter button as fast as you can, rather than half depress - just to confuzzle me even more! :)

Rico Pfirstinger has an article on Auto ISO here
http://www.fujirumors.com/using-auto-iso/

I have found it extremely useful when setting a shutter speed and aperture. Normally, my X-Pro1 sets the shutter speed to be 1/focal length, in full-frame terms. Thus the 35mm f/1.4 is usually 1/52 of a second. While fast enough to counteract hand-held camera movement, it certainly is not fast enough to stop subject movement. On the street, 1/250th to 1/500th is fine, and Auto ISO provides the sensitivity necessary for proper exposure.

It is pretty sure that on December 19, a firmware upgrade will land. It should improve Auto ISO by letting one set the minimum shutter speed in the menu. At that point, it will be pretty much on-par with the feature on my Nikon D700, which I have found to be extremely useful.

Back