Fujifilm confirms X-Pro1 at CES

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
16MP APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses, price TBA (Engadget)

Amazon all but confirmed the camera's existence when it leaked three lens pages yesterday, but Fujifilm just officially unveiled the X-Pro1 at CES, in all its rangefinder-esque goodness. The camera's centerpiece is an APS-C sensor, but unlike the X100 and X10, Fujifilm's new flagship includes an interchangeable lens mount. The camera can capture 16 megapixel stills, and will be compatible with three lenses at launch: an XF 18mm (27mm equivalent) f/2.0, 35mm (53mm equivalent) f/1.4 lens and a larger 60mm (91mm equivalent) f/2.4 macro lens, though the company says it plans to introduce nine more lenses within the next three years.

op11100657.jpg

Fujifilm confirms X-Pro1 at CES: 16MP APS-C sensor, interchangeable lenses, price TBA -- Engadget

The FUJIFILM X-Pro1 will be available in February 2012, and the price will be announced in late January 2012

"The X-Pro1 offers the type of features that appeal to would-be Leica users, but we anticipate the price to be considerably lower."

I'd hope so! :D

Fuji Have officially announced their new X-Pro1, a CSC (compact system camera) ... Or in layman's terms a camera smaller than a digital slr but still with an interchangeable lens! This sort of camera has been around for a few years now, starting with the olympus pen ep1 and panasonic g1 that use the mirco four thirds system.
The one thing that none of these cameras has managed to achieve is a proper optical view finder... of course you can slide accessory finders on to a hot shoe, but its never quite the same!
The fuji X100 came along and thanks to its optical finder, retro feel, and good features became very popular despite the lack of interchangeable lenses.

Well now we have the Fuji X-Pro1.

op11100657.jpg

On paper this camera looks very interesting, it appears to have all the features us x100 users love, but with the added bonus of the ability to change lenses!
So have Fuji hit the nail on the head with this camera and finally bought out a serious CSC that's not reliant on a EFV?
Time will tell I suppose, but the internet hype machine says a lot about what might and might not be a success and there has been a LOT of hype about this release, maybe not as much as these was about the x100, but a lot none the less...

So what do the features and spec list look like... well, impressive ... but then these things usually do!
First we have the "APS-C 16M “X-Trans CMOS” -Developed to take advantage of the exceptional resolution of the XF lens, a revolutionary new sensor inspired by film."
FUJIFILM X-Pro1 | features - APS-C 16M “X-Trans CMOS” | Fujifilm Global
This does look interesting!
Most digital cameras have a low pass filter (anti alias filter); basically a filter that very slightly softens the image ... that of course sounds madness, surely we what sharp photos? Well yes, but these filters are important to stop moire pattern and aliasing and the softness can be gotten over by applying post process sharpness ...
But this camera dosnt have one at all, and that puts it into a very rare breed of camera... leica M9 for eg and I believe medium format digital cameras!
Fuji claim to have gotten over the aliasing issue by reinventing the the sensor array

Moiré is tackled at its root cause by the revolutionary X-Trans CMOS sensor's color filter array. By enhancing aperiodicity (randomness) in the array arrangement, the color filter minimizes generation of both moiré and false colors, eliminating the necessity for an optical low-pass filter in the lens and enabling X-Trans CMOS sensor to capture full “unfiltered” lens performance.
The EXR Processor Pro is supported by an integrated co-processor for higher speed and higher precision image processing performance.

Conventional array
pic_01.jpg

New Filter Array
pic_03.jpg

They even claim it to be more like the randomness of grains of silver halide in film ... Quite the claim!

Next on the important feature list are the 3 lenses
FUJINON Interchangeable “XF LENS” and Original “X Mount”
No limits to image quality. 3 excellent single-focal length lenses and Fujifilm original “X Mount” desgined for maximum perfomance of the lens will promise excellent image quality.
FUJIFILM X-Pro1 | features - FUJINON Interchangeable “XF LENS” and Original “X Mount” | Fujifilm Global

18mm f2 (27mm equiv)
pic_01.jpg

35mm F1.4
pic_02.jpg

60mm F2.4
pic_03.jpg

Not much to say, nice range... they apparently plan to release a whole bunch more in the next 3 years!

And the bit that interests me, the viewfinder...
I have been wondering for a while how they were going to tackle the variety of focal lengths with one viewfinder and it remain ... well ... not crap...

well, as with the x100 we have a hybrid finder that can switch from OFV to EFV (optical to lcd)

pic_01.jpg

and now the interesting bit, how the VF copes with wide and tele lenses ... well if i have understood the spiel properly, the viewfinder has two settings "standard" and "wide"

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/features/img/page_03/pic_02.jpg

automatically changing depending on which lens is attached!
very clever!

And finally a bunch of very smart looking accessories including an accessory flash ... bit disappointing that it doesn't have one built in ... but anyone who is familiar with old leica/gossen/vc/etc accessory light meters will no doubt appreciate the aesthetic

pic_03.jpg

sample images here
FUJIFILM X-Pro1 | Sample Images | Fujifilm Global

So do I want one?
Yes of course I do .. the x100 is a great camera and this seems to be an advancement of that!
Will I buy one?
Well, it depends if they come out at the rumoured $1799 or other rumoured $1299? and what that translates into quids ... and of course how much "better" than the x100 it is ...
I might just wait for someone other than leica to shoe horn a full frame sensor into a camera like this ... Now that really would tickle me bits ;)

really not liking the styling behind this to be honest, clever & great idea i suppose but its just FUGLY :p very unlike the sexy x100 and even sexier x10 :p

looks just like the x10 ya numpty ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it dont, it well different & FUGLY :D

fujifilm_x10-550x399.jpg

op11100657.jpg

It's an X10 that been to the gym and worked out :D

Update from Fujifilm press conference at CES 2012: The X-Pro1's price will be around $1700, with lenses in the $650 region.

The company says it will release 9 lenses for the X-mount over then next three years, including zooms, as well as prime lenses.

The widest currently planned lens is a 14mm (21mm equivalent), and there will be mount adapters, with the Leica M-mount being the first to become available.

Hand Grip, HG-XPro1 (sold separately) - Giving you more secure and balanced handling of the camera, the X-Pro1 accessory grip smoothly moulds to the lines of the camera body for a uniform look. The grip helps balance the weight of the camera body, allowing for a more comfortable hold.

Shoe Mount Flash EF-X20 (sold separately) - Being designed to match X-Pro1’s distinctive styling. One dial lets you choose between two modes: AUTO - automatically optimizes flash for both outdoor daylight and dark indoor shots; MANUAL - for hands-on control. In addition, the built-in flash diffuser has an easy one-touch operation to soften harsh flash effects.

Leather Case LC-XPro1 (sold separately)* - Beautifully moulded to protect the X-Pro1, leather case is designed to allow fast access for easy shooting. Attention has been given to every detail, from the colour and spacing of the stitches to the adoption of a hidden magnet rather than a snap for closing the case. The premium case is completed by the inclusion of the authentic leather neck-strap and hood case.

Protector Filterφ39mm and Protector Filterφ52mm - This is a protection filter with high transmissivity without affecting the visible light. The Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating) of these would control harmful borrowed light effectively. The frame of filter given the semi-gloss black coating fits a high sense design. Or the inner side of filter given the matt black coating restrains a reflection effect and does design well.

Last edited:
Snazzy hood design!

xpro_5.jpg

DPR have provided a great side by side showing the XPro1 against the X100 and X10

x-family.jpg

[video=youtube;JkjbSLl0Yaw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkjbSLl0Yaw[/video]

Fuji Guys - Fujifilm X-Pro1 Part 1 - First Look

Hands on video at CES

[video=vimeo;34890330]http://vimeo.com/34890330[/video]

Back