Gentle Probing!

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Well, I knew that thread title would get you through the door ;)

I subscribe to Black and White Photography magazine - anyone else? The quality of photos and articles is excellent, with very little - it seems - in the way of ads to distract you. It's the only photography magazine I like from cover to cover.

Anyway...

They are starting a new feature where a professional photographer looks at an amateur's website, and gives constructive comments - and they've asked me if I'd like to be first?!

As it is to be a new feature, I don't know if they will include any of the images - it might be just text - but at least there will be a link. And hopefully whoever does the looking will be sensitive enough not to just impose their own agenda.

It might be the June edition, if not, July. I'll let you know.

It's this website (which I know some of you have seen already) Rob MacKillop

I might spend a few hours removing some stuff, as I think I've put too many images on it. I'm trying to reserve it for my better efforts.

What a great idea Rob. I used to do this on the Guardian and was a member of the photo club. There you can send in a portfolio, in their spare time the picture editors give their feed back. It was always brutal without any sympathy, but the better for it. Yet as everything else within art opinions are very subjective and more than often self opinionated towards one school or another.

Your site 500px, do you pay? as I looked into the site as I liked your layout, yet did not see on the free version how to change the presentation.

Best of luck, not that you need luck.

Yes, I pay - can't recall how much, but not too much. I got it when they had a 50% reduction day. This link is to the Portfolio site, where they present the images one at a time against a dark or light background.

I don't mind tough criticism if it helps, and I can easily ignore it if it doesn't. You can't be a musician for 30 years without developing a tough skin...

That would be too cool to pass up Rob. The only problem that may arise is that you may have to invest in a better wide angle lense for self portraits. Otherwise you may never fit your big head in them.

Brilliant - a win win Rob, you get exposure and free constructive criticism from the pros

Thanks, guys. Yes, looking forward to it. It's funny - when I look at all the stunning images on 500px, I look like the drunken punk who has gatecrashed the party, puked over the wedding cake, and felt up the bride's sister. :eek:

It is a very good one, Rob. Congratulations! Looking forward to it. :)

Well done Rob. And well deserved. I subscribe so I will certainly see the issue. When I opened this thread I was a bit disappointed as this was to be my 11,000th post and I'd saved it for one of your shots - and there wasn't one! But after reading it, I'm now pleased it was this one. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Just to prove it. ;)

Screenshot2013-04-22at134915_zps95e054f8.png

:D Good to have you back, clogging up the system ;) Never known so many comments in one day from one member. Good on you, Pete - a generous spirit!

Sorry I didn't have an image for you this time, but there are quite a few silently waiting for you! But I'm very touched you reserved your 11,000th for me :eek:

Back