Glamis CA - Dune Sea

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Took a different route back to California yesterday from Arizona, partially to miss the bank-holiday traffic, and partially so that I could get some shots of an area of sand dunes near Glamis.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=glamis+ca&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Glamis,+Imperial,+California&gl=us&ei=tYOGTLX1M4SosAPZwJH3Bw&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA&ll=32.9839,-115.093632&spn=0.059253,0.096216&t=h&z=14

This is a dune sea that stretches from the Salton Sea, down to the Mexico border - and crossed at Glamis by CA SR 78.

Managed to time our arrival well, and we reached the dunes as the sun was getting low - It was windy, dry, and hot - 102 F hot! :p

After helping a poor tourist to get her Toyota truck out of the sand (Land Rover wins every time!) - I captured the following shots with the 5D MKII and 28-70 f2.8L - ISO 100, f16.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I'd love to go back, maybe at dawn for a different perspective - but it's bleepin' miles from anywhere, so we'll have to see!

Last edited:
Nice Chris, I like these for some reason I would love to shoot in a area such as this. I have no real desire to shot any other landscapes, but I just love these shots. Maybe it the isolation that appeals to me.

BTW are you anywhere near ( I know the US is a big place) the group of people that have built EarthShips out in the deasert some where in Arizona?

Nice Chris, I like these for some reason I would love to shoot in a area such as this. I have no real desire to shot any other landscapes, but I just love these shots. Maybe it the isolation that appeals to me.

BTW are you anywhere near ( I know the US is a big place) the group of people that have built EarthShips out in the deasert some where in Arizona?

Vic - you have any links for those EarthShips?

I did a search and found a few possible pointers around Phoenix, and also in North AZ, but nothing definite.

Sounds like an interesting project to go see :)

There seems to be several about, I remember seeing a program on tv about these ones in the desert somewhere I think it was Arizona. Although if you can find a site near you I think all EarthShips are pretty funky and would make a great project, something I would love to do. Coupled with some sand dunes I would be in Heaven!

Back