Critique Welcomed Grain Elevator Study V

Brian Moore

On sunny days I've been shooting a lot of infrared monochrome images lately. This is image number 5 of a grain elevator adjacent to Centennial Park in Seattle. (I humour myself by calling the series a "study;" I was simply on a stroll and tried to achieve some interesting angles that contrasted the white architecture against the dark sky.)

Sigma Quattro SD, Sigma 30/1.4 and Hoya R72 filter.

OK, Brian, you are really winning me over to IR. Very attractive for a pretentious art shot ;-)

I'm thinking one needs to live in a sunny part of the world, to get the best out of IR.

That is impressive indeed and works so well in IR. Love the detail in the underside of the elevator. Those faint vertical lines in the sky are intriguing and I guess some sort of artefact of the sensor (or the fabric of the universe: hasty job, done in just 7 days and didn't get a chance to iron the sky!).

OK, Brian, you are really winning me over to IR. Very attractive for a pretentious art shot ;-)

I'm thinking one needs to live in a sunny part of the world, to get the best out of IR.
Thanks ya cheeky bugger!

I agree. So far I haven't seen anything interesting about IR monochrome shot in overcast conditions. Clouds with sky between them works very well, though.

That is impressive indeed and works so well in IR. Love the detail in the underside of the elevator. Those faint vertical lines in the sky are intriguing and I guess some sort of artefact of the sensor (or the fabric of the universe: hasty job, done in just 7 days and didn't get a chance to iron the sky!).
Ol' Hawkeye's at it again! I don't see those fabric of the universe lines in the sky. I'll have to have a closer look on a bigger monitor.

Thanks, Pete!

Very nice Brian. It does make we want to try IR. Especially as I too live in a sunny part of the world! :)
Thank you Milan. The convenience of an easily-removable IR cut filter on the Quattro SD makes digital IR far more accessible than if one were to have a camera converted or a very dark filter on the lens. With the IR cut filter removed and my Hoya R72 filter I can shoot IR hand-held. Absent the convenience of the easily-removable IR cut filter, I wouldn't be shooting IR.

(By the way I've recently relocated to Seattle. Haven't seen the sun much for a couple of weeks now, so no more IR for the time being.)

Thanks again Milan.

Back