Critique Welcomed Green Beam Under Blue Sky

Brian Moore

A while back my ex-MacKillop Sigma DP1 Merrill developed a flaw in the sensor.

On light backgrounds or blue skies you could make out, if you looked closely, an X pattern in the top right corner of every image. I didn't notice it at first but once I did I saw it in every shot of the type mentioned.

@Rob MacKillop refused to honor the warranty, citing the small print on page 426 of the indemnification clauses he reserved for himself and which I had failed to observe at the time of sale. So I took it to Sigma's HQ on Long Island in NY. (I was nearby on business anyway.) They told me it had to go to Japan for inspection. I just got it back last week. Below is a test shot. No X pattern! But besides that, though it was just a test shot, I liked the image. It's the wooden beam that supports the ceiling of my house. I have an atrium and the beam transverses the atrium.

The camera was out of my hands for about 6 or 8 weeks. And although it is an often infuriating machine (devours batteries like a pacman, slow to process images, noise in anything above 200 ISO) I found I really missed it! :(

However, best of all,...Sigma did not charge me for the repairs or the shipping.:) I will be a loyal fan henceforward. (Which is more than I can say about McKillop Camera Sales. @Rob MacKillop: :p)

Haha. You found the X - what did you expect for something x-MacKillop?

That's a nice beam you have there, but your roof seems to have been blown off. What's an atrium? We don't have those in Scotland.

Actually, the one camera I wish I hadn't sold was the Sigma DP3 Quattro. I looked through images I made for it which are on Flickr, and I've seen worse.

But then he'd never find an atrium!
That's logic! If ever I saw it. :D

An oddly satisfying image. And impressive service from Sigma.
That's how I felt too, Pete. I snapped the image just as a test. Then I thought,...I like that. And I also like Sigma very much too now. Thanks for the comments, Pete.

Back