Greetings

Tim Carlson

New member here from a village in Nebraska called Herman. I've been interested in photography since I used my grandmother's old Polaroid as a young boy. Now I've inherited my father's Pentax Spotmatic and bought a few other film cameras. Mostly I shoot landscapes, the hills to the west of my home offer some nice sunsets, but I'm trying to do a little more portrait here and there. I shoot a lot of film but have pulled out a mirrorless Olympus that used to only find light when family get together's happen. I'll attempt to put in some of what I'm proud of even though some of my early film mistakes seem to be the shots that haunt me most.

A77766_021A by T Carlson, on Flickr
018_07 by T Carlson, on Flickr
A77422_017A by T Carlson, on Flickr
A77765_002A by T Carlson, on Flickr

Would love some feedback. Don't think my skin is too thin but I could be wrong.

Thanks and hello again.

Hi Tim. Great to have you here, and what a good first post! The last of the four is superb. The detail in the (what looks like) long grasses is excellent, and the way you framed the image with the trees I like a lot. Is the first one of your house and car? Not sure about the middle two. I get the feeling they mean more to you because you were there, enjoying the scene, and the images bring back good memories. But for someone who wasn't there, there is not much to go on - just my thoughts, of course, which you are free to dismiss! And a film user too - excellent.

Great to have someone from Nebraska on the forum. Not sure where it is, but I'm guessing west of Edinburgh ;)

Hi Tim. Great to have you here, and what a good first post! The last of the four is superb. The detail in the (what looks like) long grasses is excellent, and the way you framed the image with the trees I like a lot. Is the first one of your house and car? Not sure about the middle two. I get the feeling they mean more to you because you were there, enjoying the scene, and the images bring back good memories. But for someone who wasn't there, there is not much to go on - just my thoughts, of course, which you are free to dismiss! And a film user too - excellent.

Great to have someone from Nebraska on the forum. Not sure where it is, but I'm guessing west of Edinburgh ;)

Hello Rob. The first shot is just a street shot from Omaha Nebraska, not my car nor my house. The middle two are the same place, just beyond my front door looking West, I get mesmerized by the sky it seems. And the fourth, a beautiful old bar, is on my daily route to work. I took it with an old Ricoh Auto TLS EE with a 50mm 1.7 M42 screw mount maybe at f8. I was shocked at the detail I got with it.
Also thank you for your thoughts and they won't be dismissed becauwe they are true. A lot of what I shoot, be it digital, film, or through a cellphone is largely for myself and may never be seen by others.
Thanks again!

Hello and welcome Tim and back in 1987 I travelled through Omaha, coming down from Decorah Iowa, but not stopping I'm afraid. Too tired of rolling meadows I guess, at the time. Last one image is very nice and very much as I recall how one some times came across properties out there in the mid west region. All the best to you and I am looking forward to more images.

I'm partial to shots taken into the sun so number two is very appealing to me; it gives the feel of a warm afternoon on the plains. I like number four also though I confess to a shade of disappointment on discovering it was a barn and not a bar. :rolleyes:

Great introduction Tim. Welcome.

Welcome to RPF, Tim and what a nice set to introduce yourself. Love the reflection of the for sale board. It adds a touch of intrigue I find. And, like Rob, a very much like the last shot. Unlike Rob though I like the contrails shot. I think that might be because it appears that there is a reason for the shot beyond just the view and it is not clear what that is. Again, intrigue.

I'm looking forward to more and seeing what you make of our efforts as well. :)

Greetings Tim. Hope you enjoy it here. That is an interesting first set of pictures. Good to see your local area, gives a sense of, literally, "where you are coming from". I particularly like the last two, trees and skies are among my favourite subjects.

Back