Critique Welcomed Growler Incoming

Brian Moore

I took this picture near Coupeville, which is a town on Whidbey Island in Washington State. Whidbey is the site of a naval air station (NAS Whidbey, which is quite near where I live). Coupeville has a small landing strip (which I think is called the Naval Outlying Field) which the Navy uses to practice touch-and-go landings. Here you see a plane coming in low.

NAS Whidbey is host to a squadron of the US Navy's version of the F/A-18 used for electronic warfare. Incoming is the EA-18G Growler.

Infrared with Sigma Quattro SD with Sigma 30/1.4 Art lens and R72 filter.

Growler Incoming by brian moore, on Flickr

It is difficult for me to comment on this scene with what is happening east of my peninsula and south of it, I would enter into discourses that have little to do with photography. The photo is blameless of course, but "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." [cit. Ludwig Wittgenstein]

Cracking shot, Brian.

I'm reminded of the many hours I spent, young and middling, on the Magdalen Green in Dundee. That looks like the River Tay, and the hills in the distance are very like the landscape of Fife seen from the Green. And there is a small airport for small two-seater planes.. I loved the sound of them coming in to land, or just flying around for the fun of it. Happy days.

Very different from Gianluca's sensitive comments. It's amazing what thoughts photos can trigger.

Back