Haynes Classic Camera

Some friends realised that I had nowhere near enough cameras and so bought me a Haynes Classic Camera kit for Xmas. I spent a couple of hours this evening assembling it and it is now ready to go. Hopefully early in the new year I will run a roll of film through it and see how it goes. I'll report back.

If you got one of these, and have yet to assemble it, note that there are two errors in the instructions! At Step 41 it tells you to insert two washer-head screws which is correct. However, it omits to tell you to insert two of the 'normal' screws (of which there are 18) into the holes in the other side of the Black Box assembly where it fixes to the front plate. The second error is in steps 42 and 43 where they mean the Side Plate RIGHT and step 44 where they mean Side Plate LEFT. Step 52 is then correct in referring to Side Plate LEFT.

The Viewfinder Hood Rear was difficult to engage on the left side (from rear) on mine and I needed to file the clips on the body lightly to get it to snap on. Otherwise the camera was quite easy to assemble. Note to make sure the spring is not under the washer-head screw at steps 31, 38 and 39 or it is not possible to adjust the shutter properly.

Haynes%20Camera-1_zps84mglykq.jpg~original

Sony RX100, PP in LR / Nik ColorFX Pro 4.

Nice, looks like is going to be fun. How is the viewfinder experience?

I'd never heard of this one Pete so I looked it up and sure enough it seems to be from the Haynes book publishers. Interesting that they got the instructions wrong, since that type of work is their claim to fame. I'm guessing the instructions were written in China by whichever company actually makes the kit.

Brian, I remember the Haynes Manuals being notorious for containing errors: The famous photo of the Tiger Cub front forks upside-down and the entertaining little tricks they included in the one for the R90S! The English is far too good to be from the factory I would have thought. A fun kit though.

Brian, I remember the Haynes Manuals being notorious for containing errors: The famous photo of the Tiger Cub front forks upside-down and the entertaining little tricks they included in the one for the R90S! The English is far too good to be from the factory I would have thought. A fun kit though.
Looking forward to seeing a pic or two from it, Pete.

Back