Hello from Sussex

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
I've had it with forums! There... I've said it. I have joined (and left) more than I care to remember over the years. Mostly animal rescue (we have nearly 40 at home) or photography related. I don't know why people can't play nicely, but atmospheres make me ill and when things get nasty, I get going. This place does look different though and I like the way you find new subjects to discuss.

So what about me? I'm 54 and have been taking photographs since the tender age of 8. Animals are my life, but the cause of a lot of heartache. Photography keeps me sane most of the time. I love my cameras, but I'm not "into" equipment as such. My old workhorse is a 1980 OM2n and I also have a 1940 Leica IIIb. I would have stuck with film had I not been lucky enough to win a Sony A700. Digital has been a steep learning curve, especially as I don't have much free time. I work to pay the vet bills and the zoo takes at least another 5 hours a day. I need somewhere I can ask silly questions if necessary.

I shoot pretty much anything apart from posed portraits and still life. Street photography has been a passion for the past few years and I am lucky that I can be in London in less than an hour. Last year my wonderful husband covered for me at home while I spent three days in the Yorkshire Dales. This year I will have three days in the Peak District if the combined health of the zoo permits. I used to use a lot of B&W film and now I convert many of my digital images. I am also scanning old film and slides - I'm not sure if I have seen anything on scanning in here. Hopefully I can offer advice as well as asking silly questions.

I have included a link to my web site, but it hasn't been updated in ages. It is currently being rebuilt and maybe one day the job will be finished - like most other things at home. I don't work on Fridays, so I will see if I can stick up an image or two fairly soon.

Welcome to RPF Lesley. I'm pretty sure you are going to enjoy this place. It certainly seems to be completely different to all the others out there as I'm sure you've noticed. Looking forward to seeing some shots and talking photography - and I am sure that Blanka at least will be very interested in your animal rescue activities!

Thank you Pete! Before anyone asks, we currently have 10 cats (we were up to 18 at one time), 15 ferrets, 2 llamas, rescued chickens and a pig. Sadly we lost our green iguana last month after having her for 13 wonderful years. We lost the last of our goats too, but much as I would love to have more, things are getting very tight these days. Our latest rescue was a little ferret kit found wandering during the winter. Some kind soul had snapped his canine teeth off with pliers and then taken him rabbiting and lost him. He's now happily installed in one of our downstairs rooms where the ferrets free-range and have an adventure playground!

Welcome Lesley,
Don't worry about the questions...its better to ask and learn and everyone round here is more than happy to help out.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures...

Welcome Lesley!
I also have a bit of a menagerie, not perhaps by your standards it sounds ... We have 2 dogs 3 cats 2 budgies and 6 chickens ... And a 9 month old baby girl :)
Hope you enjoy the forum mre than other in the past!
We pride out selves on the freindly vibe!
Looking forward to seeing some photos
Hamish :)

Welcome Lesley, looking forward to seeing your work. You've hit a special little corner in the world of forums here. Really hope you stick around. I love cats!! I have 2 one a big old ginger tom. And a 6month old Bengal although at times with her behaviour she equates to at least 10 cats ..... Nightmare!

Hiya Lesley, It never gets nasty here cos we're all lovely :)

Welcome Lesley, looking forward to seeing your work. You've hit a special little corner in the world of forums here. Really hope you stick around. I love cats!! I have 2 one a big old ginger tom. And a 6month old Bengal although at times with her behaviour she equates to at least 10 cats ..... Nightmare!

I've heard Bengals are a challenge. I used to home check for Cat's Protection and they were always being given up by their despairing owners. One of ours is a Devon Rex, who is nearly as bad. His nickname is Klepto Kitty :)

I've heard Bengals are a challenge. I used to home check for Cat's Protection and they were always being given up by their despairing owners.

As I was reading this my fiancé shouted from the kitchen "ohhh no" a week ago pookie (the Bengal) developed a love for the texture of sugar she smashed the sugar pot off the kitchen side and had a roll around. Now sugar potless I have been spooning out of the bag. I opened a new bag today....... It's now all over the floor all of it!! We no longer have nice orniments and I'm on my 2nd set of curtains and my sofa is on it's last legs. Destructive,mischievous and intelligent are a bad cocktail!

Welcome Lesley. I don't think Hamish will even let us think of being nasty. ;)
Of course we wouldn't want to be anyway. Let's see some pics.

Welcome Lesley - you've stumbled across the best kept photography secret on the InterWebs ;)

I'm sure you'll be right at home - loving your pictures already!

Back