Hello from the Lake District

Hello all from rainy Cumbria. I'm strictly an amateur snapper, starting 50 years ago with a second-hand Box Brownie, graduating via Instamatics, 35mm rangefinders, Pentax SPF, various APS cameras, Nikon Coolpix 950, EOS 300D, and finally (for the moment) Panasonic GF-1. Trouble is, I still have all of them. And 200 or so Kodaks. And a very tolerant wife... Main interests: architecture, transport, churches, gardens, with a side-order of stereo (I refuse to call it '3D'). Looking forward to reading all your posts.

Hi there Micheal
Id be interested to hear a bit more about your 35mm rangefinders!
Which ones do you have?
Do you still use them?

I had a GF-1, great camera, awfully complicated to use though ... although that's not a criticism as such as since i sold it and haven't got the camera i intended to buy to replace it yet, i do miss it!

Hello Hamish

Now I come to think about it the old Zorki 4 is about the only camera I don't still have. I think I sold it to buy a Zenit, another Russian classic which I do still have. I haven't run an analogue film through a camera since I got my Coolpix 950 in 1998 (?) in fact I think there's a half-exposed film still sitting in a Canon Ixus. Boy that APS was a blind alley!

Micheal!! All this lovely kit being unused ... I urge you to dig some of it out, rediscover a passion for film!
I makes such a nice and satisfying change from digital
Either that, or put a smile on the missis's face and pack them all up and send them to me ... Ill happily store the indefinately in my collection for you ;)

I was in a charity shop just the other day and there was a complete Minolta 35mm SLR kit, two lenses, extension tubes, flash, case etc all apparently as-new for £50. I was tempted...

There are some remarkable bargains in the world of 35mm film if you know what your looking for!

The thing with using film gear is that it makes you think more before you shoot... every shot of course costs money!
I really enjoy being forced to think about shooting in the way shootin film does! I personally find that it has a positive effect on how I use my digital cameras!

welcome to this awesome forum, i am sure you will enjoy taking part in our small yet growing community.........!!

Hi Michael - welcome!

Spend your rainy days online here, and show us some photos :)

Hi Michael,

Welcome. You live in my favourite part of England, rich in so many great places to admire the scenery, take pictures and make me jealous!

Back