Hello from Wales,

Welcome Randell, got off to a great start on here I see. Enjoy :)

Blurring the line

I meant to post some pictures today, but I've been messing around in Photoshop instead, so I must apologise.
I belong to the SWPP and have been entering my photos into their monthly print competition since last November. I haven't won a 'Gold' yet, but I had my second 'Silver' award in Aprils Comp, so I'm not too upset.
One thing that was annoying me though is that a lot of the photos winning 'Gold', in a quite a few of the categories are relying heavily on texturing - Some to the extreme. Although these images are really nice, I can't help but thinking that the line between photography and digital art are becoming just a little out of focus.
Anyhow, as I said, I've never really used textures so I thought I'd better learn, please give me your view on these shots.
The guy in the 'Blue Hoody', is a lesson I found on the internet, and is my version. But the lad in the Black Hoody is my son, done with a variation on the theme. Really like to here what you think.
Oh! I've also included my two 'Silver' awards and a photograph that had the highest amount of viewings in all catagories and was 'Unclassified', in the 'Beauty and Glamour' section. Why I just don't know. (Sigh!)

Attachments

• Randell_John_Open_May_Wales_11.jpg
    Randell_John_Open_May_Wales_11.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Ben_rock.jpg
    Ben_rock.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Randell_John_Macro_April_UK_11.jpg
    Randell_John_Macro_April_UK_11.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Randell_John_Portrait_Environmental_March_UK_11.jpg
    Randell_John_Portrait_Environmental_March_UK_11.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Randell_John_Glamour_And_Beauty_April_Wales_11.jpg
    Randell_John_Glamour_And_Beauty_April_Wales_11.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
While I like the shots Randell, I find the texture a bit too strong and too much of an 'overlay' I'd have 'burnt' the image more through the texture I think. And I prefer your shot to the lesson. Thanks for sharing them.

I don't actually mind the convergence between digital art and digital photography, it's no different in some ways to collage and alternative processing in analogue systems I suppose. What is disappointing is when things are done just to make a shot different. I have a friend who is also a member of the SWPP ad has won several awards over the years. He commented that the recent big competition was virtually dominated by HDR images. Mostly unnecessary.

Thank you for your comments Pete. I think the biggest problem I've got with these techniques is they hide a multitude of sins. Especially good lighting. They distract from what you should be judged on. I'm a fairly new to photoshops more advanced techniques so I've got a mountain of tutorials, and books to get through, and I must admit it's only within the last couple of months that it's actually starting to come together for me.
Talking of HDR, I really like the more extreme HDR images, but I don't think of them as photographs. I think the SWPP should have a seperate category for HDR or these shots should be entered into the 'Digital Art' section.
Thank goodness for digital - The thought of trying to do what we can do with photoshop but in a dark room would have filled me with dread. lol I take my hat off to the photographers who could pull some of these techniques off with film. Cheers.

I prefer the lesson... i think
i would have preferred yours if it was black and white i think ... and a little tighter cropped?

some nice other shots you have added to the post too
especially the chap in the alley way! i love the sort of painterly effect to his surroundings!

as for the other convo going on here, i think im going to start a thread on that subject

Thanks Hamish. I don't suppose that the subject of digital art/photography, will be the first time its been talked about in a
forum such as this.

You know I've been looking at some of these textured portraits again on the SWPP website, some of them are so heavily textured you can't actually see any natural skin tones. So how on earth can the judging panel decide if the correct exposure has been achieved with the lighting method used. I must be mis understanding the basic facts of taking a decent portrait shot.

Anyhow enough of my moaning. Here are a few more of my photos for you all to have a look at.
Any constructive comments gladly apprieciated.

Attachments

• 20110412_2517.jpg
    20110412_2517.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Randell_John_Pets_May_Wales_11.jpg
    Randell_John_Pets_May_Wales_11.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Meganblurchurch.jpg
    Meganblurchurch.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 9
  • _MG_0146a.jpg
    _MG_0146a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 11
Randell, you are allowed to start new threads you know ... in fact id encourage it... :)
most of us post single images or images within themes to threads... that way it gives everyone the opportunity to view and quote on them as individual shots!
I like these shots, especially your portraits!
why dont you post some of them to new threads, and we can have a look at them at comment on them separately!

Thank you gents.
I must admit I wouldn't consider myself to be a forum sort of guy, and I'm really not sure of all the protocols.
So I'll take you're advice and spread myself out a bit.
Many thanks for easing me in.
Cheers
p.s The lass with the umbrella 'Laura', she's brilliant if she's looking a little pained then it was my fault. She had cramp in her little finger from holding the umbrella the way I wanted her to. lol

Last edited:
Welcome Randall!

This is a great place, everyone's friendly, and for amateurs like me it's a great way to learn things and get good ideas. You're obviously a highly proficient photographer already though, lovely pictures.

Back