Hello...one More From Co!

Aaron Quinn

Hello all. I found this site through a link to some wonderful photo's posted on another forum. I poked around for a while and found this to be a great community and felt I really wanted to be a part of it. I was approved and here I am!

I live in Colorado and really enjoy photographing what this state has to offer. I am looking to take my photography from something fun to do once in a while to learning more about what makes a truly good photograph. Hoping also to lose some of my shyness in posting photo's for critique along the way too.

I'm one of those "technical" thinkers, so I have all the "how a camera works, ISO, F-Stop, Shutter Speed" stuff down and how that effects how a photo will turn out in the end but I lack the "vision" I guess to actually put that to use and capture great photos. P = Professional on the dial...right?

Anyway, I started my photography love affair back in high school around 1987 or so and have been hooked ever since. I was completely film until I made the move to digital around 2002 when the Nikon D100 was released. I then upgraded to the D300 but had to sell off most all my good stuff in 2007 when a life changing event took place. I now have a Fuji E-X1 with the kit 18-55, a lot of older Nikon glass (Fuji X to Nikon adapter is on the way and should be here tomorrow) and a good number of older film bodies (I just discovered the "develop with instant coffee" trick and want to give that a try).

So short story long...That's me a nutshell. I look forward to some good conversation!

Oh, and post processing. Not looking to PS the heck out of my photographs, just some good LR basics to get that "oh, that's a nice photograph" look.

Last edited:
Welcome, Aaron. Great to have another XE1 shooter - I also have the 'kit' lens, which is great. I'm looking to expand my lenses beyond one soon, but the good ones are a bit too expensive at the moment. So I'll definitely be interested in what you get up to with your Nikon glass. Please keep us posted on that. Oh, and don't be too technical - I haven't a clue about what I'm doing technically, well, not a lot. Actually, be as technical as you like, but include subtitles for the hard of thinking!

Thanks for the welcome!

It is a car in the snow - It's my 1971 VW Westfalia from last winter. I'll find the larger photo and post it up so you can get a better idea of the whole Bus.

Welcome, Aaron. I've developed a few rolls in instant coffee myself. Fun to try. And indeed, I was compelled to try it when I ran out of my normal developer (Rodinal) and was unable at the time to make the 30 mile trek to get some more. I'm back on Rodinal now, but I'm glad I tried the Caffenol route. Don't be shy about posting your pictures. You'll find (if you haven't already discovered) that the members here are very supportive.

Welcome on board Aaron! :)

Glad you decided to stick around - it really is a very unique place for photographers, and a whole lot of fun

Lots of good knowledge and inspirational images here - a great place to show and tell, and learn at the same time.

You live in a beautiful part of the world - looking forward to seeing some of your images

Love the VW BTW! :D

Thanks again all for the warm welcome.

The first thing I tried to do was find the picture my avatar came from and guess what...no clue! Looks like the first thing I need to do is get a handle on DAM...

Aaron

Last edited:
Hello all. I found this site through a link to some wonderful photo's posted on another forum. I poked around for a while and found this to be a great community and felt I really wanted to be a part of it. I was approved and here I am!

I live in Colorado and really enjoy photographing what this state has to offer. I am looking to take my photography from something fun to do once in a while to learning more about what makes a truly good photograph. Hoping also to lose some of my shyness in posting photo's for critique along the way too.

I'm one of those "technical" thinkers, so I have all the "how a camera works, ISO, F-Stop, Shutter Speed" stuff down and how that effects how a photo will turn out in the end but I lack the "vision" I guess to actually put that to use and capture great photos. P = Professional on the dial...right?

Anyway, I started my photography love affair back in high school around 1987 or so and have been hooked ever since. I was completely film until I made the move to digital around 2002 when the Nikon D100 was released. I then upgraded to the D300 but had to sell off most all my good stuff in 2007 when a life changing event took place. I now have a Fuji E-X1 with the kit 18-55, a lot of older Nikon glass (Fuji X to Nikon adapter is on the way and should be here tomorrow) and a good number of older film bodies (I just discovered the "develop with instant coffee" trick and want to give that a try).

So short story long...That's me a nutshell. I look forward to some good conversation!
I also suffer with vision. I think there are real artists out there, some who know nothing about the equipment they use, but whatever they shoot turns out amazing. I really wish I could do the same. Good luck to you.

Hello, welcome to RPF I look forward to seeing your work. I am in Vegas now but I spent 20 years living on the Front Range

I have to say, after being a member here for just at a year now, I really like this community. I stopped logging in and was just doing some lurking for a large part of this time, I think mainly because of a fear of my work not being able to compliment the work of others on the site. I have come to the conclusion that if I'm going to get better, I need to start sharing more and ask for critiques.

Aaron, we all learn and the way people here help and advise will allay your fears.

I look forward to some images from around your way.

Back