Holderness Coast, East Riding of Yorkshire.

Shaun Haselden

Having now fully relocated to the East Riding in the UK we have had but three days of sunshine in three weeks of living here. On one of those days we decided to drive down the coast to a place called Atwick and take a few images. These are some of the shots I took of the fastest eroding coastline in Europe. As is usual for me, I decided to work only in mono.

Attachments

• Holderness Coast East Riding of Yorkshire.jpg
    Holderness Coast East Riding of Yorkshire.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Holderness Coast East Riding of Yorkshire 2019.jpg
    Holderness Coast East Riding of Yorkshire 2019.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Holderness Coast East Riding of Yorkshire No3.jpg
    Holderness Coast East Riding of Yorkshire No3.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 10
As an addition to the others, here is a shot of an old WWII pillbox, Yorkshire style. This will soon be on the beach with the others that have toppled down there. A few miles further south there are the remains of a huge gun battery known as Godwin Battery. It's remains lie strewn across the beach.

Attachments

• WWII Pillbox Holderness Coast.jpg
    WWII Pillbox Holderness Coast.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 4
Peter, once again, thank you for the comments. Way back in the eighties I was in this area and it stirred my spirit but I never thought I would live here. I love the small beach shacks that exist here and the feeling that you've just been transported back to 1935. Personally I think this place screams out for medium or large format film but most of these places will have vanished into the sea before I have the funds for that; who know's ? There is a sadness and loneliness about the way this whole coast has been forgotten about and it reminds me of a local TV station back in the darkest depths doing a documentary using the song 'Entangled' by Genesis with it's load of melancholy mellotron. Can't wait for spring to explore the place more.

I love them! The first one is best for me, composition wise. I would like to have this particular one with the contrast of the second in the foreground. It would make it perfect, I think. The third one doesn't work for me, I think because of the tilt in the beach. My head can't process the orientation, picture-wise. I know and understand it is reality (my head can process it intellectually, thank you), but I keep wondering what is wrong with the photo. Nothing, most likely, only with my head....

Fine job!

Rense, thank you for your comments. I always run into this problem as I almost always photograph by the sea where of course the level has to be set by the water and not the land. The area at the right is actually a ploughed field that I suspect won't be there for too many more years. A few yards behind where I was standing the road just ends at a ragged edge because it has fallen into the North Sea. I do understand your issue regarding the reality effect but for me that shot is my favourite. I just love the way it slices through the image. As always, each to their own. It would be so dull and grey if we were all of the same taste and opinion.

Hey, please do not apologise for your comment/observation; there really is no need. I am perfectly sure we can discuss such things openly with each other, none of us ever stop learning and it is always good to see the concept from another's viewpoint. Sadly I am very limited as my spirit is only really moved by locations close to the sea or estuary. Maybe I should move to Holland or Denmark. They have some beautifully haunting areas of coast. I just love the way the place 'speaks' to some of us. For some it is in the mountains for others it is in an old, derelict buildings, for me it is anything as long as it is black and white and coastal.

Checked out your album; lovely images in there. Handicapped..? No way, I'd rather be at the coast in the middle of nowhere than be in the mountains. Again, each to their own; C'Est La Vie. I find mountains threatening. I do not find masses of emptiness threatening.

I remember many years ago being at North Cape and Svalbard and being quite over powered by the feeling of insignificance. I don't get that feeling on river estuaries and coastal places even very deserted ones. I guess it has a connection to being raised at such places.

Beautiful shots Shaun. I specially like the second one, the way the almost black sea matches the dark sky works so well. I can feel your connection to the place, you have to truly understand a location to capture it that well.

Dave, you clearly understand the way certain places disturb your inner spirit. Yeah I know, fanciful nonsense, but for those with a certain amount of whatever it is, it enables us to connect with different things. In my case it is open, empty, lonely places by the sea. I can't forget mother nature though. Without nature most of us would have nothing to photograph. Thank you so much for your comment.

Shaun, you are talking to a long-hair tree hugger here! Nothing fanciful about your inner spirit, we all have one; sadly too many people have lost contact with theirs. I have lived in the same area all my life, when I walk I am aware that I am walking on the land I am built from and will one day return to, it gives me a sense of belonging.

Oh my, at last, someone who actually understands our place in the grand scheme of things. I suspect you are a Prog Rock fan as well..? It is so true that an awful lot of folk are totally unaware of their place in all of this. These places give you a sense of belonging; me a sense of peace and calm. We are so lucky to have this interpretation.

I have a wide taste in music, anything from folk music to death metal. So long as it is performed with feeling and says something to me, it is fine. My favourite currently is symphonic metal. I was at a gig yesterday, finally got to see Shakespears Sister, I was a fan back in the day, so glad they decided to get back together again.

Good grief, I remember Shakespeares Sister from all of those years back. I bought the CD at the time and loved their voices. I also have the opinion that if it speaks to me I will listen. Being the age I am I am still a fan of Progressive Rock such as early King Crimson, Camel etc. These days though I am heavily into electronic music. As with most things, each to their own. I am also a huge fan of valve amplifiers as part of a hi-fi system as Chris Bennett knows.

I apply the "If it speaks to me" principal to most things, be it a book, a movie, a piece of architecture, a photo or a song - I am me, I cannot be anything else. I have cried at movies the critics dismiss as rubbish, but been unmoved by ones they rave about. As for music, there cannot be many people who have seen live performances by both Dame Vera Lynn and Cradle of Filth and enjoyed them both!

Back