Critique Welcomed Hothouse Noir

Peter Roberts

One of our nearby parks has a Victorian winter garden. Built as part of a glorious vanity project by the then owner of the site it was in its time second only to Kew Gardens in size. Sadly it is now drifting into decline. Closed during Covid it remained shut until recently for remedial repairs to the roof. Its longterm future remains uncertain, an all too common fate for such local heritage assets.

IMG_0013.jpgMinolta SRT 101b / Vivitar 24mm f2.8 / Yellow Filter

IMG_0026.jpg

Minolta SRT 101b / Rokkor 55mm f1.8 / Yellow Filter

IMG_0017.jpg
Minolta SRT 101b / Rokkor 28mm f3.5 / Yellow Filter

The film was Kentmere 400 developed in ID-11.
Thanks to my daughter for the title of this offering.

And a damn fine title it s too, Peter. With images to match. The debris / leaves on the roof add a nice focal point and work well with the softness of the fronds below. I also like this sense of decay in the second image. However, it is the lighting and deep shadows (and soft tones) of the last that takes the prize here for me I think. Gorgeous.

And a damn fine title it s too, Peter. With images to match. The debris / leaves on the roof add a nice focal point and work well with the softness of the fronds below. I also like this sense of decay in the second image. However, it is the lighting and deep shadows (and soft tones) of the last that takes the prize here for me I think. Gorgeous.
Thanks for that, Pete.
The last one is definately my favourite too. The sort of thing that, to my mind at least, works much better on film than digital.

Back