Just for Show I know....

Ivar Dahl-Larsen

I have shown images from this event before, but this is the 20th and maybe the last. For those who have not seen images from this and knows nothing about it, I can simply ad. This event takes place in my little town of Brevik, approximately with 2800 inhabitants to celebrate this what's called " The Bacalao festival." Bacalao is a Portuguese dish consisting of salt fish, tomatoes, potatoes, herbs and spices and people really like it with a few exceptions. This year we had about 15000 people at this event. It takes place only for a few hours on a saturday in July, this last saturday in fact. People mingle, enjoy the food and beer, and shortly put, having a good time. Here are some images from this event.
den 20ende Bacalao'n i Brevik.jpg
Well some haven't got their food yet.
mat kø.jpg
but you have to stand in line.
endelig servering.jpg
she finally made it. ( I think she's haggling ).
selv politikere og en blomsterhandler må ha mat.jpg
Even local politicians need food, or does he?
synger shanties.jpg
and some sing " shanties,"
trangt om plassen.jpg
It's crowded alright.
rusletur i Brevik.jpg
albeit these ladies have found a quiet spot it seems.
folksomt ut mot havna.jpg
everywhere you look, there are people
folksomt i Brevik.jpg
Also in the square by the quay side
på tide å gå hjem.jpg
Time to go home!

We have a good idea of the event now, Ivar. Good stuff. But what about the after-event shots? When people are lying on the ground, too drunk to move? Or being sick over each other? You are Norwegians, aren't you??!!

Sorry Rob, your impression of the adult Norwegian is entirely wrong. This is a get together starting at 11 am and finnishes at 5pm. As I said, some of you have seen images from this event before. These new images, no one has seen and some haven't even heard of this. And lastly, some of you has a memory that fails them occasionally:D so I thought it could be of interest! Won't be repeated!:rolleyes:

Looks like a nice day had by all Ivar. We have similar gatherings throughout the summer period throughout Cornwall in the villages and towns. Each week end if one was inclined you, can go and join in somewhere in Cornwall. We have recently had our Feast week celebrations which runs from the end of June for a week long ending on the first Saturday in July. That, as most of these gathering throughout Cornwall are celebrating something of historical or present religious significance. Our village, although of a similar population as the one depicted by you had enough religious congregations to make it a week's long festival.
I must admit though here there are quite a few bodies lying on the ground by the end of each day unlike the well behaved Norsemen & women.

Back