Image size on this forum and screen resolution

Thanks Brian! I'm not using an external site at present, so hadn't really thought about those options. I presume this doesn't use much space on RPF? As it's just a link effectively?
I've uploaded using the BBCode since I started contributing to RPF. My current photo hosting site (Zenfolio) offers me the option to use a BBCode for uploading, but I realized the other day that Flickr allows me the same functionality. I don't know if the BBCode uses less space than other uploading methods, but from what I have read, using a BBCode is simpler and safer for the recipient site (in this case RPF). Since you're not using an external site at the moment I presume you don't have a Flickr presence, but if you did, even the free version of Flickr would, I presume, facilitate uploading to RPF with a choice of sizes.

I've uploaded using the BBCode since I started contributing to RPF. My current photo hosting site (Zenfolio) offers me the option to use a BBCode for uploading, but I realized the other day that Flickr allows me the same functionality. I don't know if the BBCode uses less space than other uploading methods, but from what I have read, using a BBCode is simpler and safer for the recipient site (in this case RPF). Since you're not using an external site at the moment I presume you don't have a Flickr presence, but if you did, even the free version of Flickr would, I presume, facilitate uploading to RPF with a choice of sizes.
I do actually have a Flickr presence... albeit dormant.
I was under the probably mistaken impression that it would be preferable to upload directly to avoid breaking links if (or more likely when) I move or change the images on Flickr (or wherever).
Thanks Brian. Maybe I need to rethink...

I don't use BBcode, but when you go to the cashier to pay, they don't ask you if you used BBcode or how many pixels you used, they ask you how much your files weigh.

I don't use BBcode, but when you go to the cashier to pay, they don't ask you if you used BBcode or how many pixels you used, they ask you how much your files weigh.
Not sure your point applies to my post, Gianluca. (If it does it's over my head.) All I'm saying is that I'm using the BBCode to upload, it's easy for me, and I've never had any problems using it to upload to RPF. I thought this information might be helpful to others reading this thread.

I like this metaphor :) but...
Not sure your point applies to my post, Gianluca. (If it does it's over my head.)
I had to check... but I think the BBCode is just a link in certain formatting, so there is actually no storage of the image in RPF at all, just the link that instructs RPF to pull the image from Flickr or wherever .
So yep... it seems a good way of getting higher quality pics without worrying about storage limitations on RPF itself.
I do prefer, personally to avoid crosslinking stuff though, as I've found from experience that I end up breaking it, in the long term.

so there is actually no storage of the image in RPF at all, just the link that instructs RPF to pull the image from Flickr or wherever .
I think that's correct, Stevenson. This would be why links to my older images broke after I moved them within my Zenfolio site.

On another forum I'm on (discuss.pixls.us), there is a requested max 1 MB size for posted images, but it's not enforced and sometimes some huge files are posted. There have been several discussions about how to achieve the best appearance while staying under 1 MB, and in this recent thread it seems that the majority feel that the results are more attractive with larger pixel counts and more JPEG compression. Personally, I tend to post with 1920 px on the longer dimension and whatever JPEG quality setting gets me comfortably below the 1 MB threshold.

Not sure your point applies to my post, Gianluca. (If it does it's over my head.) All I'm saying is that I'm using the BBCode to upload, it's easy for me, and I've never had any problems using it to upload to RPF. I thought this information might be helpful to others reading this thread.

I apologize @Brian Moore , II think I did not understand your comment correctly.

Using BBCode does save space on RPF and keeping to 1MB should give us enough space for the future for those who prefer direct upload (sorry, I did realise that you weren't suggesting an increase, but were discussing optimising image size/ quality within that limit). Having a more up-to-date set of recommendations is a good idea though, especially given the rise in pixel density of monitors, etc and ageing eyes! ;)

I still have a Photobucket account (non-public) that I used to use for RPF and that I keep active both to maintain the original links and to use for another (non-photography) forum that requires BBCode links.

Back