Image size on this forum and screen resolution

Stevenson Gawen

I didn't want to pull any other threads off course here, so apologies for what feels like a slightly single-minded new thread. :)

I was reading an exchange including @Gianluca Drago and @Brian Moore and wanted to add my 2 pennies worth. To be clear, I don't really have an opinion on this point, but feel that there's a bit more to it than meets the eye.

Two examples first, snaps of my desk where I spend most of my forum time. That's a 4x6 inch print for scale, resting below the screen.
I have a 32inch Lenovo monitor with a 2560X1440 resolution. Average to low pixel density by current standards.
First one of Brian's posts:P3130356.jpg
The (lovely) image is about 5X7 inch on the screen, big enough for comfortable viewing IMO, but I wouldn't want it much smaller. Due to the pixel dimensions it's not practical to enlarge it on screen. (that one is also externally hosted, but that's irrelevant to my discussion).

This is one of mine, uploaded as a 3000X2000 pixel file.
It initially shows as only slightly bigger than Brians, but as it's a file of larger dimensions, when clicked on it fills all available space, like so:
P3130358.jpg
To me, it's easier to appreciate the finer details, and it could be considered to allow a more comfortable viewing distance. It'd be similar to an 8x12 inch print I guess, or a bit bigger.
I don't feel detail level matters too much, as long there's enough to appreciate the image as the photographer intended, but the actual viewing size is tied into it, at least on the face of it.

Where I think this discussion gets more relevant I think is the current crop of higher resolution screens. 4K, that is, 4000 pixels on the long edge, is fairly standard now, and at a given physical size, like my 32in (diagonal) screen, that is going to make an image of smaller pixel dimensions even smaller, to the point that viewing becomes unpleasant unless you magnify it somehow.

Obviously, we don't all have the latest tech (or I don't anyway!) but it is filtering in.

Just some food for thought I guess.

Interesting. I have a two-year old iMac. I’ve recently experimented in varying the size of my images, and on my screen a horizontal edge of 1400 suits the image well, and if clicked on can expand enough. I don’t like images filling the large screen. For square format I opt for 700.

But I often view this forum on an iPad or phone. Generally everything renders well enough.

I agree with @Stevenson Gawen that sometimes the small size of the images uploaded to the forum makes viewing uncomfortable. My monitor has a lower resolution than Steve's monitor, it is Full HD, but even so I often would like to see the uploaded photos better. Maybe I should upgrade my eyes hardware.
Of course, I also understand that one may have various reasons for not wanting to share larger photos.

on my screen a horizontal edge of 1400 suits the image well, and if clicked on can expand enough.
That sounds pretty good. I think my 3000 wide is a bit too much, if only because it requires quite a lot of compression to fit in the under the 1MB file size limit, which can cause banding and other artifacts. I'm kind of leaning towards 2000px wide...
Of course, I also understand that one may have various reasons for not wanting to share larger photos.
Very true - I kind of overlooked that point in my post.

I generally only share reduced size images. Not because I think I'm special or that anyone would "steal" my stuff but more due to the space concerns of the hosting site. Depending on how large the original file is, I usually try to reduce to 1024 or 2000 along the horizontal.

Yesterday I was looking at the Top Posts of 2011 in the General forum. I was trying to see what @Gary R. Smith was referencing in a couple of his posts. Anyway, besides the fact that it was an enjoyable journey down "memory lane," (seeing names of past contributors, many of whom had once been so active here) I ran across a screenshot that @Hamish Gill had posted that showed his ideal upload settings from Lightroom. I tried to find that screenshot this morning before responding to this thread but wouldn't you know it, I couldn't find it. I found a broken link instead, so I think it must have been re-posted. Nevertheless, here is a link to a thread where some descriptions of preferred settings are provided. (I think the final post is @Pete Askew's preferred settings which I would guess would be good for anyone to use as a starting point.)

Pete’s numbers might seem small to some: “1000 px on the longest dimension using sRGB as the 'color space' I usually export an 85% Quality JPEG without sharpening”.

I prefer 1400 length, so that people can click on it if they want a slightly larger image.

I think that you have to balance image dimensions and file size as to not to weigh too much on the hosting costs, but also being able to convey the richness of information to visitors. Considered the resolution of computer monitors today I would prefer jpeg compression over size, at least when there's no possible problem of banding.
Browsing a site with a phone is not an option for me @Rob, I wouldn't do it even under torture.

I don't really have a preference for the size as such, but there needs to be some limits to best use the storage space we have available. At the moment we are using about 10GB of the 50GB that our 'subscription allows and I guess a fair chunk of that that is in images. Going from 1000 pixels to 2000 won't be too impactful in terms of space.

I usually set my export to 1000 pixels in the longest dimension as the specification, but of course a square format ends up larger in that way. Maybe specifying 1000 pixels in the shorter would be more sensible. Here's a quick comparison:

1000 pixels long

Oven-1.jpg

1000 pixels short

Oven1000S-1.jpg

@Pete Askew I see the forum established a limit based on file size, and that makes sense. Every file that exceeds the size of 1 MB is not accepted and I'm more than fine with that limit. Thank you for keeping this site available and active!

I don't really have a preference for the size as such, but there needs to be some limits to best use the storage space we have available. At the moment we are using about 20GB of the 50GB that our 'subscription allows
Pete, I wasn't suggesting at all that the 1 MB limit should be changed - I was kind of working under the impression that anything that the site accepts (i.e. <1MB) is OK, and therefore it's all about finding the best balance between dimensions and JPEG compression to make the most of the 1MB.
If it would be better to keep it to say, 500kB I'm more than happy to aim for hat instead. My main reason for this thread was just that I got the impression that we weren't all on the same page with regards to what the goal was.
Maybe that was just me...
Going from 1000 pixels to 2000 won't be too impactful in terms of space.
And to be clear what I was thinking, that difference would be a no-change in terms of storage space, if the compression is increased to match. Just a different tradeoff in image quality.

Thanks for the input everyone. :)

Just to add to the discussion, I thought I'd upload a screenshot of the BBCode settings I used to upload this: https://realphotographersforum.com/threads/scotch-mist.25879/#post-200643

I'm not suggesting these are the right settings for anyone. I'm just showing what was available to me.
Thanks Brian! I'm not using an external site at present, so hadn't really thought about those options. I presume this doesn't use much space on RPF? As it's just a link effectively?
I thought it worked well on the recent post you liked to.

pay the hosting service in terms of bites
Bites of bytes ;)

Back