Attention Ideal Image Upload Settings

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
This seems to be confusing people a bit...

here are my ideal settings for image export for upload to the showcase:

full

This should give you a good quality fairly large jpeg of somewhere in the order of 300kb

Lesley,
You can do what ever you like! Large images, small images, post, not post, tag don't tag! You are free to do as your please under this virtual roof!
This is purely an ideal so as to make sure the most people get the best quality images out of the most situations!

Ah, yes sorry I did lost it with the wrong settings from the showcase, you must have opened the thread in the 10 seconds before I managed to change it :)

Lesley,
You can do what ever you like! Large images, small images, post, not post, tag don't tag! You are free to do as your please under this virtual roof!
This is purely an ideal so as to make sure the most people get the best quality images out of the most situations!

Ah... right! It sounded like a very tactful instruction. I know you wanted to do something else with the images and I was worried in case I had broken the system. I make images at 800 pixels for my web site and also the blog, so it makes sense to just upload them here as well. The framed images I make for desktop decoration at home and work, so those get used in here a second time. I am a bit puzzled by the size though. I now have my screen resolution as high as possible and it's still nowhere near that. Around 1400 without going to check. I find images that are too in my face can be quite disconcerting - that's why I never click to view a larger version. :)

It's because some of the higher res images put in the showcase will hopefully be used as part of the design for the home page of the website. We use a bit of JavaScript called back stretch that will make an image fill either the width or height of the screen. A 2000px tall 2x3 portrait format image is 1320px side to side which is just a little less than then 1400 you mention as being the max pixel width of a display. And actually hd screens are 1920 pixels on the long edge. By asking for 2000px images I am hoping to get a few that will look good filling a width of most screens.

Now the next question is no doubt going to be about cropping ...

Yes, images as part of the proposed design will likely be cropped, but they are not on show as the photo them selves, they are to be used as graphical elements for the landing page of the website. This probably sounds horrible to you as you don't like images being displayed full screen. But you need not worry, as 800px framed images won't be used anyway. And of course like most current users you will just come straight to the forum anyway so you will likely by pass it.

The images chosen will be chosen on their merit as photos but also as graphical images as part of a design. Just like they were or the old header!

Have a look here f8creates.com for how we use images as graphical elements for the design of our website

What do you use @Paul Cheeseman? I use 1000 px longest dimension, sRGB, 85% Quality JPEG without sharpening. Works for LR, PS and CaptureOne. I use Photobucket for the links but can't recommend it. Sometimes whatever Photobucket 'adds' causes artefacts around solids reds and so I upload directly to the RPF showcase and link from there. Same settings.

I guess I am to no help here, but I do it somewhat different and maybe it can be of some help. Firstly I always do my pictures in RGB and not sRGB hence printing. My montor and the rest is calibrated that way. Therefore I cannot change it to srgb, that would look strange colourwise. Whenever I want to upload a picture to here or elsewhere on the net, I change the physical measurement of the picture to approximately 25cm at the longest side and reduce the resolution to 72dp. You can of course set it to a smaller size, but I would not recommend it to go too small. This seems to work great as people have no complaints regarding the colours of my photos on their screens it seems. I am to show pictures in a club on monday coming and have set the resolution on every picture to 1440 on the longest side, kept them in 300dp and put all the pictures in a slideshow using moviemaker. The resolution of 1440 is because of the video projector that in most cases do not have a higher resolution. I'm sorry if I deviated a little from the original theme or topic. All the best to you all.

Last edited:
I have just realised that the old link showing the 'instructions' for uploading images was broken the the upgrade last year. There are two way, either link to a source where the image is stored (using the media 'button' in the post creation pane) or upload and image that is 1000 px on the longest dimension using sRGB as the 'color space' I usually export an 85% Quality JPEG without sharpening from Lightroom for this purpose.

Back