Free Calls for All

I remember public telephones - guess I'm showing my age?

I remember public telephones - guess I'm showing my age?
I took the photo yesterday!
We still have 'em here, not as many as the were but definitely still present. They used to be pay phones, but I believe that now emptying the coins cost them more than they were making. 😄

They don't get used much. I think they're considered a public safety service in effect, so they are still maintained... occasionally.

When I glimpsed the thumbnail for the first image I thought it was some sort of mould growing on the ceiling (as could be imagined here in the cooler, damper UK). Then I looked at the image properly and noticed it was fauna, not flora (though, technically, I believe fungi are a category of their own). Presumably a nice, sheltered environment for the little critters. Redback, or some other? I like the contrast of the warm glow in the second image, kind of inviting you in from dark surroundings, a cool blue of the sky's early (late?) hour.

There's always a price to pay...this time with your health! Yuk, what a place!
Yup. I didn't get too close! Oddly, there were two dead birds, galahs, lying on the ground outside. I think someone had moved them off the road, as galahs are frequently road casualties (erratic flyers!) but it didn't help the atmosphere at all.

fauna, not flora (though, technically, I believe fungi are a category of their own). Presumably a nice, sheltered environment for the little critters. Redback, or some other?
Don't think redbacks, they prefer more sheltered, crevice-like spots usually. Although... this was a bit crevice like...:eek:

Actually, I think some of the 'stuff' is windblown dust, fluff, etc, that's got hooked up on a relatively minor amount of cobwebs. But I wouldn't care to speculate on how many spiders are in there!

When we visited over there some years ago, we stayed for a week at a campsite in the Adelaide Hills. It was dark when we pulled up so I wanted to get our van's power line hooked up fairly quickly. Upon opening the pole-mounted box, there was one such spider, with it's beautiful glossy black body and characteristic bright red diamond pattern, sat spanning the very sockets we needed. Had to get my camera and macro lens, and it was very obliging until it decided it'd had enough and scuttled off into the back somewhere..

Well, I went back and had a look at my pics. The one I saw wasn't as shiny 'n' black as I remember, more a of a satin look with dark brown patches and small white stripes on it's abdomen. Also, more red stripe than diamond pattern. Apparently this one was likely still fairly young from what I read, with those small, white stripes. How the mind and memory play tricks... well, they do with the old duffer this end.

Last edited:
Well, I went back and had a look at my pics. The one I saw wasn't as shiny 'n' black as I remember, more a of a satin look with dark brown patches and small white stripes on it's abdomen. Also, more red stripe than diamond pattern. Apparently this one was likely still fairly young from what I read, with those small, white stripes. How the mind and memory play tricks... well, they do with the old duffer this end.
Feel free to post a pic if you like! :) I'm no spider expert.. I just treat them all with respect, with extra when I know it's dangerous... ;)

Ok, thanks. Here it is. Could have done with more d.o.f but better than nothing. You can see the circuit breaker switch next to it.

Attachments

• IMG_5138.jpeg
    IMG_5138.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 2
Indeed it is, Gianluca 🙂. We also saw a huntsman hiding in one of those boxes. Just a small youngster my cousin said. It was still rather BIG.

Last edited:
Back