Images From An Old Voigtlander

Brian Moore

I mentioned in a previous post that while in Kutna Hora I came across a roll of 120 film trapped in a Pionyr camera. I would have bought the Pionyr but the shutter was frozen. However, there was also an old Voigtlander for sale and this camera I did purchase. It's not in bad shape given its age, which I estimate to be around 80 years give or take a few.

I didn't get a great deal on it, and I knew that when I bought it, but it wasn't too bad and besides I just wanted a souvenir of my trip. What better souvenir than an old Voigtlander Roll Film camera?

I decided that my souvenir should do some work so I loaded a roll of Fomapan 100 in it and shot the roll walking around Prague the next day.

I readily admit these are not the best of pictures. The camera takes a bit of getting used to. And for some reason I had trouble estimating some lighting situations. Perhaps the shutter speeds are off.

Nevertheless, here are the shots in the order I snapped them. (It is a 6x9cm camera, so a roll of 120 film yields 8 images.)

1. A young American couple and their son. The chap and I shared an interest in cameras and so I asked if he'd like me to take their picture. I forgot to focus. I realized this only later as I was thinking about the shot. I hoped my selected aperture would provide enough DOF, but obviously not.

2. A restaurant where Meg (my younger daughter) and I ate lunch on our last day together in Prague. I do not know what caused the abrasions on the film.

3. Damn parallax error! Well, I like to think that was what caused this terrible comp. Maybe it was just bad aim. Too bad, because I otherwise like this image very much. This is Meg, taken in the restaurant I featured in 2 above. On the table sits the Werra I had purchased from a camera shop in Prague just an hour or less before.

4. Two bums on the other side of a fountain. One scratching his ankle, the other asleep.

5. A Trolley.

6. A magnificent edifice; a bank to be precise. Perambulating tourists in the foreground.

7. An anonymous lad so underexposed one cannot see the mirth that my camera has illicited upon his countenance.

8. A lovely building.

I would imagine that one of the most rewarding aspects of this whole process is the joy of just using the Old camera and dreaming of whose hands had used it in the past.
I really enjoy the imperfections of the shots here Brian and the first two especially appeal to me.
The quality of the Trolley shot shows that there is good life in the Old camera still.
A most enjoyable posting .

Wonderful shot of Meg (go on, crop,and be damned!) and the other souvenir (very sneaky Mr Moore!). And a fabulous set all round.

I actually like the fact that the first is focussed behind the group - it adds a touch of mystery to the shot. And is that a micro-brewery in the corner of the restaurant? I also like the way the camera has rendered the scenes around Prague and the vintage look they have gained, as if the camera only 'sees' in a time that is contemporary with it!

I would imagine that one of the most rewarding aspects of this whole process is the joy of just using the Old camera and dreaming of whose hands had used it in the past.
I really enjoy the imperfections of the shots here Brian and the first two especially appeal to me.
The quality of the Trolley shot shows that there is good life in the Old camera still.
A most enjoyable posting .
Thank you kindly, Tom. Yes, one does wonder who shot this old camera and what light it has trapped over its lifetime.

Wonderful shot of Meg (go on, crop,and be damned!) and the other souvenir (very sneaky Mr Moore!). And a fabulous set all round.

I actually like the fact that the first is focussed behind the group - it adds a touch of mystery to the shot. And is that a micro-brewery in the corner of the restaurant? I also like the way the camera has rendered the scenes around Prague and the vintage look they have gained, as if the camera only 'sees' in a time that is contemporary with it!
Crop,..? Not sure how to do that, Pete. ;) Yes that's the accoutrement of brewing you have spied. :) Wait for it,...someone going to ask about beer next. (Some RPFrs are predictable.) I won't name names, though. (@Glenn Clabo) And yes, is it not remarkable that the old camera seems to give off an old look about the pictures? Thanks for the comments, Pete.

Amazing Brian!!! Simply amazing!
Thanks, Dan. Appreciated!

I really like the faded look to these and though they were interesting to look at. Don't think the composition is that bad either.
Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

Excellent Brian, I like the story and the images are superb, so much to them, the blemishes, miss focus and all have produced a charm that has it's own beauty. With family to boot I can see these as being special images.
Now go and have a beer you deserve it :D

Excellent Brian, I like the story and the images are superb, so much to them, the blemishes, miss focus and all have produced a charm that has it's own beauty. With family to boot I can see these as being special images.
Now go and have a beer you deserve it :D
Well,...OK Julian. I will go and have a beer. But only because you insist and I am the type of fellow who does not want to disappoint anyone. :D

Thanks for your comments, Julian. Much appreciated.

Cheers anyway! ;)

Stanger-1_zps3f2f4edf.jpg~original

Back