In A Land Far, Far Away...

Dan Cattermole

Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble
........There lays a forgotten house, but this is not just an ordinary house.
This is otherwise known as the 'Hobbit House'

I took a visit to this place with a long lost member here in the name of Curt Worton.
We didn't know what to expect, or if this place was even accessible. To begin with, it didn't look promising.

Just for reference, there is no information on the internet available for the location of this place. Where the majority of people read books, I don't, I read maps (which may be seen as strange....... And even for myself this took a frustrating week to find scrolling google maps/earth and ordnance survey maps. I deem myself as a pro map reader who detests the use of these so called satellite navigation..... thingys.
This is not a registered place with any council/authorisation or has planning permission. It is, literally a secret for the benefit of its protection more than anything.

The genius responsible for this magnificence is a guy called Colin Stokes, now 68, who was a sheep farmer. He bought 10 acres of land back in 1980's when a compensation claim was paid to him following an accident. He collected stones left on his land before starting work on a hay store using dry stone walling techniques (and pouring concrete between the gaps).

Rather than building a modest barn, he then started building turrets and dovecots - which were inhabited by lots of birds, including one owl that lived there the whole time he owned the land. He also had a room at the top where he would sleep during lambing season.
Mr stokes took a total of 11 years to build this on his own before selling his land and moving to Scotland after a near by quarry and transport feared disruption. Mr Stokes sold the land in 2000 and has been left in its current status ever since.

Me and Turkish had a close call with the current land owner who drove passed us on the track we were walking adjacent to.

Hope you enjoy the photos as much as we enjoyed the visit.

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

Inside .......

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

And now...... For the usual

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

A stick...........

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

Who's comin shag!?!?

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

The guard of the house

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

by dajoolzcat, on Flickr

Thank you all very much for looking :)

Last edited:
i laughed so hard when i saw the gas mask, wasn't expecting it to make an appearance. really cool place, glad you found it. love the angle of #4, gives you some idea of the detail that went into the outside. the inside shots are pretty amazing, i can't believe the stone carvings and floors. those stained glass windows are pretty sweet too.

Dan - may the hair on your toes never fall out! :D

Great detective work, and photos - well done sir!

Thank you very much all. Now that the trees are off the leaves it's still very difficult to see from the surrounding areas. I'd of had a game to find this in the summer. It is practically invisible from any other angle other than the ones you see from the above shots.
Legend be told that this is also inhabited by bats. Luckily, there were none present during our visit making that theory a legend only. Only a cat that scattered briskly not long on arrival.
An experience never to be forgotten this was. A true high level of respect and appreciation of what an individual can do in 11 years.
A structural surveyor would have a field day here from today's safety guidances, and an architect photographer would frown upon lack of straight lines..... But do you know what..... That is totally irrelevant.. This is really how to build a house and until you see this place with your own eyes..... You'll never see this the way it should be seen. MAGICAL!!! :)

Thanks Rob, I do recall knocking my head a few times........ Didn't do anything though, still found myself including the DanMask in a few shots.... :)

WOWOWOWOWWOWOWOOW Dan that place looks immense, really impressive looking building, really great explore, i for one are so glad you have found it................

Photos are also wicked as usual, thanks for sharing

An amazing place Dan and superb pic to show it off. What a great discovery of a place which I am sure oozes the guys personality and spirit if you were there in person.

Thank you Julian.
I got that feeling when I was in the place. Very determined and creative chap.

A weekend retreat would of been a FANTASIC idea! Just imagine, if it took 11 years to get that far, and it's been unoccupied and resting for 13 years, just think what it would of been now if he'd carried on!! I'd love to of seen it.

Back