Critique Welcomed Inspiration for a colourful abstract.

Wes Hall

Following on from a welcomed discussion and seeing Rob's recent Forth Bridge Abstractions post, I was playing with a shot trying to disguise the item through deliberate out of focus and lighting.

Colour is definitely a challenging element when trying to show an abstract image and capture what isn't seen- I don't feel this successfully achieves this, however it was good to be inspired by an others work. Cheers Rob. _KS_3622.jpg

Cheers, Wes. Someone asked Dylan if he had been influenced by someone else, and he replied something along the lines of, "Open your ears and you are influenced". I'm influenced by everything I see. But it's nice you got something from my images and our conversation.

I don't know why not all abstracts work, and I'm not sure this one does, and I can't say why. Maybe those old ratios - the Golden and otherwise - still matter, help guide the eye. People can't help themselves - and often enjoy - seeing "things" in the image which are completely unrelated to it. My wife thought one of my Forth Bridge shots was a penguin. She thought this was hilarious, and I was taken aback for a moment, but then I saw it too, and I can't now view that image without seeing a bloody penguin! So I'm loath to say what I see here.

There are strange forces at play in abstract work which are hard to pin down, and even harder to generate. Jackson Pollock's works always look "balanced" somehow. I find that intriguing.

What I do like in your image is the "floating" colour. I'd talked before about how the colour of an object is the spectrum of light it hasn't absorbed, it is left on the surface. Here the surface is drifting apart from the object, so could be said to have more of a truth in it, or reality about it. I just find that philosophically interesting.

I also think it's good to upload here not just our best shots, but things we are not sure about, or even don't like. Sometimes they are more interesting because of that.

I think it is natural to see things in an image, even an abstract. We are programmed to do it, specially to see faces in things, just from the hint of a shape. I love the colours in this one, it feels cosy.

Dave, Rob; apologies for the delayed replies- I've had some unwanted preoccupation this week.

Thank you both for your views, the colours Dave are much of why I enjoyed creating this image- that magenta grow bulb is quite captivating.

Rob, to quote you "What I do like in your image is the "floating" colour. I'd talked before about how the colour of an object is the spectrum of light it hasn't absorbed, it is left on the surface. Here the surface is drifting apart from the object, so could be said to have more of a truth in it, or reality about it". This has my mind seizing on the concept of separating the colour- how can we achieve this in camera during the moment of capture? I realise it would be achievable through post editing, no doubt, but I feel this insight reflects in your own abstractions; thinking to the Forth Bridge images.

You mean the penguin shots? :rolleyes::D

I’ve a feeling it might work better with saturated film emulsions better than digital, although your Sigma shots have me thinking hard about picking one up from eBay. I sold my Q2, as I just couldn’t get comfortable with colour. In short, it does my head in!

Keep digging! I’m interested in your experiments.

Thanks for the encouragement Rob :D And yes, those shots :rolleyes:.

If you can be happy with how they operate, the Sigma's are truly lovely in mine and I suspect Brian's views- possibly others here. And depending on the model you go for is a cheap trial and no real loss if you sell it again in a few months, or a bit of cash but again- should sell with ease. I really want another (heck one of each thanks!).

Well, I used to have a Merrill or two, Wes, and even the weird-shaped one that superseded them. In fact, Brian has one of my Merrills, and it is doing much better work in his hands than in mine.

Don't you have the original, pre-Merrill version? Some claim it to be the most film-like.

Back