Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Having splashed the cash in a somewhat reckless fashion a month or two ago - I've finally gotten around to shooting more images with the Fuji instant camera - the Instax Mini 90 Neo Classic. :)

10210685323_be3ceeb12f_b.jpg

This camera takes a small sized cartridge of Fuji instant color film (ISO 800 Daylight) - and produces a Polaroid style instant color shot from a fixed 60mm f/12.7 lens. You get 10 frames per film pack. (86x54mm)

pic_01.png

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/pdf/instax_mini_datasheet.pdf

The camera looks retro - but it's a plastic fantastic, with little or no metal in it's exterior construction.

The lens pops out when you power-up, and the camera has a point & shoot style optical viewfinder for lining up the shots. It has a rechargeable battery for all camera functions including flash.

It does have some electronic trickery built in - allowing for macro (really just close-up) work, double exposures, fill flash compensation, party mode (provides free drinks and food - or maybe just exposes for ambient lighting with fill flash balanced), kids mode (high shutter speed), Landscape Mode (hyperfocal zone focus), brightness adjust, and a bulb shutter mode for long exposures (max 10 sec).

It's easy to use, but does suffer from parallax errors when shooting close-up - although bright lines are provided in the viewfinder to try and assist with this.

In use - a kid could drive this camera! Well this kid can any way - it's definitely not difficult to use - just keep your hands away from the film exit slot, as the print is ejected from the camera after each frame is taken.

IQ - well, it's artistic rather than detailed - the prints are small so your landscape shots will have an artistic feel to them rather than stunning detail. For portraits, it really shines - this is where the camera is aimed I'm guessing - a party fun machine! ;)

I do like the colors produced by the Fuji film - and the whole look and feel from the prints. It's very exciting to get instant hard copy in these digital days - I can see why these Instax cameras sell well.

Here are a few images from the camera/film - starting with the Gold King Mine visit last week

11166666314_73d9f0f3cc.jpg
11166791173_7f9bac3419.jpg
11166635756_300440818e.jpg
11166607595_8908a02bc7.jpg
11166791493_1869fdf115.jpg
11166638876_a62dd7d573.jpg

And an early morning landscape shot of La Jolla Cove CA

10365922793_8af21f05ce.jpg

A double Exposure from Halloween

10320456376_1ec51f6f23.jpg

A portrait shot at the park

10234779466_231d856b58.jpg

And a 'macro' shot from Gold King Mine

11166792723_54379dd0a3.jpg

Parallax error here - failed to compensate properly!

Great fun to play with - all images were scanned using my old Epson flatbed scanner to get them into the digital domain. You could PP them from there for more effects etc.

I'm going to keep experimenting - even at over $1 a frame - it's a real get away from digital :)

That's great, Chris, I really like the gold king mine shots and the la Jolla landscape (or seascape).

Can you tell me more about the object itself, the picture, that is? Our Polaroid Impulse shots look really beautiful, with a high gloss sheen. I just love looking at them. The scans fail to do justice.

Also, do you have to hide it from the light immediately it comes out?

I'm contemplating getting the wide-angle version...

Thanks @Rob MacKillop - The prints are the size of a credit card (including frame) and have a glossy plastic covering over the image itself.

The frame is white on the standard film - or you can buy various 'special editions' with colored or even patterned frames.

The images are stable out of camera, so no special shielding seems to be required - they dev fully in a few minutes and so far have stayed fixed with no obvious degradation (over weeks)

There are frames and albums available for them online - so definitely meant for display - or you can scan etc as I have done

The wide camera does look interesting - much bigger print as well

Great write up and really nice photos Chris, the colours are something special I think. I think the orange one (I guess it is the rear wing of a truck) is a beauty.
Thanks Paul - that one is my favorite as well - came out just as I visualized it - I need to shoot more like that!

Has the camera got a plastic lens Chris? The photos do seem to have that quality, or maybe it is solely the film
Can't find a definitive answer on that one Paul - suspect it's glass, and the film is providing most of the LOMO look

After development has started the emulsion layers under the plastic film can be moved around using a non-sharp pointed tool (like the ones used in modelling clay). You have about 5 - 10 minutes in which to move the edges of the image around (a bit longer if you warm them a bit). It works will Impossible film too but I don't know if as well. Getting something as good as Ralph Steadman achieve is very difficult and I guess it helps that is is a very fast working cartoonist.

Just had a Doh! moment - figured out that I didn't set the focus on landscape for that tree and sky shot - hence the rather soft image - Doh! must RTFM!

Interesting to see that anything I post on FLICKR that's Instax based will regularly get more hits than my normal stuff - day in day out - seems to have a large following online for some reason

I like the orange one also, Chris. (I like the others, too, though.)

I'm hopeful that the sales of these cameras is sufficiuent to encourage Fuji to continue making film. I think the colors of the images that I get from their peel-apart film are beautiful.

I like the orange one also, Chris. (I like the others, too, though.)

I'm hopeful that the sales of these cameras is sufficiuent to encourage Fuji to continue making film. I think the colors of the images that I get from their peel-apart film are beautiful.
Thanks Brian - given the dwindling number of film manufacturers, I'd say that Fuji are in a good spot

they're also not dependent on film as a source of primary income - so may see it as 'marketing' in a way

Thanks Brian - given the dwindling number of film manufacturers, I'd say that Fuji are in a good spot

they're also not dependent on film as a source of primary income - so may see it as 'marketing' in a way
Yes,...but they've been paring down their emulsion options over the last couple of years, and most recently have announced the demise of FB3000B,...the B&W peel-apart film. I consider this ominous for those of us who like to shoot with the pack film Polaroids from time-to-time. Can the demise of the FP100C be far behind?

Back