Kangaroo's Paw

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
03d0a059-f44b-4791-acfd-d9314ba517cd-l

From the plant, not the marsupial!

Ilford XP2 and 50mm f1.2 at f1.4

Awesome!
Cracked out the old film SLR's I see! The eos 1n I assume?
Chris this is a great shot! This is just the sort of thing I love to do with my fast 50!
I can think of at least 1 other person on here who is going to definitely apreciate this!
Really spot on to my taste for this sort of shot!

Thanks chaps - it is indeed the new 50mm lens on a 35mm EOS, which I er, picked-up from FleaBay this week ;)

ebb039e9-11af-4e9a-b19e-d290e01beddf-l

Figured that I wanted to use my EF lenses and B&W film at the same time, hence the move to snap up an EOS 1N - which BTW are as cheap as chips these days!

OK maybe not cheap enough for the competition, but compared to their original $3,000 price tag, they're crazy cheap now.

The Ilford XP2 was a quick test roll which I could get dev'd at the local dunk 'n dip place as it's C41.

Spotted the Kangaroo's paw against a stone wall, and immediately liked the contrast of the dark (crimson) plant and the light stone.

Also liked the furry texture, so figured it was worth a narrow DOF shot to try and get some of that in focus, but leave the lovely light reflecting from the wall washing the rest out.

Came out way better than I thought it would to be honest - I'm still not fully dialed-in with the 50mm and how various DOF will look at various operating distances.

Not sure about the XP2 - it's a little lacking in tonality - but that may be partially due to the lack of a Yellow K2 filter (which I've been using on the Canonet). I've got yellow filters for the EF lenses coming from Amazon, so will try them with Pan-F next week.

Using 400 ASA was a real issue yesterday, as I was unable to use the lens anywhere near wide-open in most situations, as the camera was unable to dial up a fast enough shutter speed! Luckily the Paw was in the shade!!

If you wanted to use XP2 regularly, you'd need a good set of ND filters - which I had of course left at home :(

Nice one Chris!
I'm so pleased your getting into film to the extent you are!!!
I shall look forward to some pan f 50mm 1.2 photos then yeah? :)

Planning as I type Hamish :)

The motor drive on the 1N sounds so much better than any DSLR. 6fps of goodness :D

Yes, my f4 motor is one cool sounding bit of gear!
The f3 motor sounds nuts!
So was this the last big film camera from canon was it?

Canon did the EOS IV after this model - with 45 AF points instead of 5

The IV became the basis for the 1D and was their last 35mm body - still worth a fair chunk on EBAY.

Wan't prepared to drop that sort of money - but wanted a 1 Series, as I'd only ever had EOS 5s back in the day, and always hankered after the EOS 1 film body.

Used EOS 5s (A2e is the US) are worth almost nothing on EBAY - and would be a killer film camera for someone getting into it on a budget.

a2e-2.jpg

5 Point AF, eye controlled AF point, optional grip.

I used to have two EOS 5 bodies for my studio work - really earned their keep

Back