Late medieval interior - Vienna St. Michael's Church

Very good Julian. I especially like the rather dramatic play of light and shadow in no3, but they're all great.

Somewhat stating the obvious, but a real contrast to the small, remote country church I photographed and posted here recently. I could only photograph the outside as it was locked (as expected on a weekday), but I was able to see inside through a sadly broken window pane, and it's really bare and slightly run down inside.

Stevenson, thank you ! Indeed, these places (especially the late gothic ones) have an interesting play of light and shadows. Partly given by the interior intricate architecture, partly due to the narrow high windows. I was lucky to be able to hold the camera kind of steady at that shutter speed, which is becoming increasingly difficult with every year that passes :) .

Pity about the church you mention; while not a deeply religious person myself, I am attracted to these beautiful in many cases buildings, for their historical meaning and role in the respective communities. That is why I visit them wherever I find one open.

Again, thank you !

Stevenson, thank you ! Indeed, these places (especially the late gothic ones) have an interesting play of light and shadows. Partly given by the interior intricate architecture, partly due to the narrow high windows. I was lucky to be able to hold the camera kind of steady at that shutter speed, which is becoming increasingly difficult with every year that passes :) .

Pity about the church you mention; while not a deeply religious person myself, I am attracted to these beautiful in many cases buildings, for their historical meaning and role in the respective communities. That is why I visit them wherever I find one open.

Again, thank you !
Well, thank you for posting! 🙂

The more I looked the more I liked the grain in the first. It gives it a timeless quality and complements the age of the building. It took a while. Maybe I am getting slower with each passing year!

I empathise with you on the holding the camera steady!

Back