Light and Mood

Mick Howe

I must admit I love our climate, were lucky here in the UK nothing too extreme a little bit of everything, apart from the wind, don't like the wind no good for tripod and long exposures. I know we've had flooding in the west and south of the country and I feel for them, I live in the north east of the country and we moan when we get hit by floods but nothing to write home about. Anyway this gets me on to light before and after bad weather, because when you have the light you also have the mood, where would we be without it, as one of the shots below will hopefully show, shot in the rain in the Lake District (Elterwater). It's just recently I've started to try and shoot the Landscape more seriously, as before this I would shoot the streets, but I find it's getting a bit harder as everyone gives you the eye and most are on there phones "boring" plus I think I lost my nerve a bit.So I'll return to the landscape enjoy the countryside and coast and take my time.
Thanks

This was shot just outside of Elterwater in the rain, for me at least, the dark tones to the lighter tones in the background work quite well.
Recession of tones.jpg Same location as above, no direct light but the mood of the rain clouds makes it for me.
Elterwater in the rain.jpg St Abb's Head St Abbs Head (Borders Scotland).jpg
Last light of the day
Last light of the day 2.jpg Stormy Cloud (Fife Scotland)
Stormy Sky (Fife))Scotland.jpg Somewhere in Wales near (Tywyn)
Somewhere in Wales near (Tywyn).jpg So for me it's all about the light and mood of an image even before I press the shutter, as it should be for all landscape photographers.

Mick, you've made my day, and just in time too as I'm off to bed soon. These are stunning. Simply stunning. The framing in the first is perfect, and the rain really helps. But the pick of the bunch for me is the storm clouds above Fife - wow! Please tell us what equipment you used.

I also don't like shooting the public, and they seem to be everywhere. I like to get out of Edinburgh when I can, but am reliant on public transport, which doesn't always take you to the best positions. I seem to like landscapes and internal architecture, and greatly appreciate these shots. Well done. Good text too.

Mick, you've made my day, and just in time too as I'm off to bed soon. These are stunning. Simply stunning. The framing in the first is perfect, and the rain really helps. But the pick of the bunch for me is the storm clouds above Fife - wow! Please tell us what equipment you used.

I also don't like shooting the public, and they seem to be everywhere. I like to get out of Edinburgh when I can, but am reliant on public transport, which doesn't always take you to the best positions. I seem to like landscapes and internal architecture, and greatly appreciate these shots. Well done. Good text too.
Thanks Rob, I love shooting in bad weather that's when the drama happens, the gear I use depends on what I'm shooting, for the Fife one I used Fuji xt-10 with Canon FD 100mm f/2.8 lens, for the first two images Sigma Merrills and last one Fuji again, but I sold the xt-10 as I was having trouble looking through the viewfinder when I wanted to shoot toward the sun and I was missing a lot of shots as you were trying to focus and cover your eyes to stop the light from hitting my eye and the viewfinder was dark darker than my Fuji xe-1 as I use mostly manual focus lenses, so I swapped it for Canon 70D.

Well we all have our troubles at times, referring to yours and the xt10. I have one and have enhanced the brightness of the viewfinder and by using split image in the viewfinder on manual lenses, I find it superb as well as the xt1 under same circumstanses. Now enough said about that. I like the whole series of yours and a fine set it is and stormy weather in Fife takes the top. Must also praise you for your black and white work. Excellent!

Well we all have our troubles at times, referring to yours and the xt10. I have one and have enhanced the brightness of the viewfinder and by using split image in the viewfinder on manual lenses, I find it superb as well as the xt1 under same circumstanses. Now enough said about that. I like the whole series of yours and a fine set it is and stormy weather in Fife takes the top. Must also praise you for your black and white work. Excellent!
Thanks Ivar, Yeah your right I think I may regret getting rid of it, but not as yet I still have my xe-1 and I find it know problem at all "strange" I have my moments it must have been me and not the camera, still not to worry. Thanks for your kind words about my images, I just love dark and moody images, I wonder if that's a reflection of me I seem quite normal and then again.

Wow! That is a beautiful set of dark, moody pictures; those skies are amazing. Love them.
Thanks Dave, It's what I like doing, I get a bit frustrated when it's a blue sky day, unless I'm shooting street good for shadows, and I don't shoot street that often now, leaning more toward landscapes, slower pace.

Thanks Ivar, Yeah your right I think I may regret getting rid of it, but not as yet I still have my xe-1 and I find it know problem at all "strange" I have my moments it must have been me and not the camera, still not to worry. Thanks for your kind words about my images, I just love dark and moody images, I wonder if that's a reflection of me I seem quite normal and then again.
Sometimes I wonder what is normal. And being here in this forum, I am more than confused:D I guess that's normal:rolleyes:

Back