Lightroom 5

Peter McCullough

Superb bit of kit. White balance on a brush was enough justification for me to upgrade from 4. No more gelling my speed lights for mixed light source press shots :)

I've just signed up to Adobe CC for just £9.00 a month for PS and LR5! It was on offer until on yesterday unfortunately, but I thought it was an excellent price and a great way of keeping up to date.

£9.00 is a good price, lets see if they stick to that though, fear out in the real world is that when they get enough signed up it may jump up in price by at least double,maybe more, not convinced by this CC move myself.Speaking to a lot of Adobe users, they have not & will not join it, in fact we have sold a ruck of PS 6 just recently so users have it on dvd.

£9.00 is a good price, lets see if they stick to that though, fear out in the real world is that when they get enough signed up it may jump up in price by at least double,maybe more, not convinced by this CC move myself.Speaking to a lot of Adobe users, they have not & will not join it, in fact we have sold a ruck of PS 6 just recently so users have it on dvd.
Personally I think it was a sad move and at £10 a week it is , still another £10 direct debit on top of the other direct debits. I am one for having the preference of buying outright and be done with it. I wont be doing the CC for that reason. I do not believe this was a move prompted by piracy. Adobe know they are ok because they have all the big educational institution by the b*ll's. Universities with big media departments are tied and shackled into Adobe. Adobe know this full well.
I have the use of my Educational version, but not sure what happens if I wish to move it onto another computer. Must find out some time whether this is possible, I am not sure. Yet for most of us LR and elements is enough. Truth being I don't use much more than what is in elements, when using Cs6. LR seems to have the same Raw processing as PS Cs , elements has levels , dodge and burn and resizing, which is enough.

Just signed up myself before the special deal expired - not happy with the whole concept TBH - I hope Adobe will play fair, but I'm saying that whilst feeling they have a virtual gun to my head! :(

I won't make the move on principal. They got away with charging Europe and Australia more than double for years by saying it was postage, packing and taxes. Now it's all virtual, they are saying nothing. I agree with Julian that Elements (and I was happy with Elements 6) was enough for my needs until I started to get banding in my skies. I forked out for a special deal for CS5 exactly two years ago and now I'm staying put...

I think it's a very good idea ... It's cheaper in the long run to keep up to date when you use as much of it as we do at work. We are on CC teams for the full whammy at work. Me and my co-director and our two employees cost the company a 2 figure number (I can't remember what) a month. If we were to have bought 4 copies of the previous version it would have been around £10,000 I think ... A figure that meant we were all on odd copies of old versions that caused us problems as a company.
It might suck a bit for Joe ameture, but for my company it has been a godsend!

I think it's a very good idea ... It's cheaper in the long run to keep up to date when you use as much of it as we do at work. We are on CC teams for the full whammy at work. Me and my co-director and our two employees cost the company a 2 figure number (I can't remember what) a month. If we were to have bought 4 copies of the previous version it would have been around £10,000 I think ... A figure that meant we were all on odd copies of old versions that caused us problems as a company.
It might suck a bit for Joe ameture, but for my company it has been a godsend!

True Hamish, I believe that CC for teams of 1-100 users is £50 odd plus vat. per month, that is most programs, so even at £9.99 per individual, for Ps + LR that is steep. Of course many individuals can afford this and will. As an amateur I cannot justify it. I am lucky and close to the telephone exchange. Cornwall even though we have the Infinity running in some places, it is not available to vast areas and many on broadband struggle to buffer 'You Tube' let alone upload or down load images of a decent size. So it is a practical problem for many and a shame.

You don't need to upload or download images ... The cloud bit is irrelevant to the basic software for the most part. You download the software and install as normal

While I jumped on the $9.99/mo Black Friday deal as well, I am really not happy about the CC thing either. Since LR5/Nik/Topaz/OnOne, my PS use has really tapered off. I use Zerene for focus stacking, PTGui for stitching, HDR Efex Pro for HDR and I just discovered that OnOne Perfect Photo Suite has some really impressive layering/masking and content aware fill erasing tools that reduce my trips to PS even more.

I was really close to dropping CC when I was paying $20/mo for PS, but I'll hang on a bit longer at $10. If Adobe jacks the price up next year though, I think I'm gone. While there currently isn't an alternative to LR I'm happy with, if Phase added plugin capability to C1, I could go back to Photo Mechanic with C1 and be fine there.

I find that I hardly use PS anymore and since buying a Mac the copy of PS Elements that came bundled with my scanner is enough. You have to reduce bit depth to 8bit but as I like to look at prints I can work it into my workflow that going 8bit makes no real difference.

While I jumped on the $9.99/mo Black Friday deal as well, I am really not happy about the CC thing either. Since LR5/Nik/Topaz/OnOne, my PS use has really tapered off. I use Zerene for focus stacking, PTGui for stitching, HDR Efex Pro for HDR and I just discovered that OnOne Perfect Photo Suite has some really impressive layering/masking and content aware fill erasing tools that reduce my trips to PS even more.

I was really close to dropping CC when I was paying $20/mo for PS, but I'll hang on a bit longer at $10. If Adobe jacks the price up next year though, I think I'm gone. While there currently isn't an alternative to LR I'm happy with, if Phase added plugin capability to C1, I could go back to Photo Mechanic with C1 and be fine there.

Interesting Keith, I have no doubt more than one company will step in to supply good editing suits with the use of layers, along with many of the attributes that Ps use. Within Cornwall and I've no doubt in many rural area the internet is seriously useless. People do revert here to satellite, internet but the cost is not great. Downloading any software is a complete not starter. I dont know but when LR or Cs 6 had an update I'd need to download the whole program again. many friends dont have this option, it simply times out when left on over night. Maybe with CC it works differently. As Paul says sometimes these big packages of software are actually for most of us an over kill anyway.

I did try the Onone a long while ago and did not get on with it. Maybe look again. Gimp is not great but usable if stuck. I'll also look at the sticking program you mention.

Back