Like Leather

An oak leaf from the ones collected a week ago.

Leaves-4_zpsca51a0c4.jpg

This was lit from the front using this setup (different leaf).

Leaves-5_zps646fe91a.jpg

Main image using a Hasselblad 503CW / Zeiss 120mm Macro Planar f1:4.0 CFi / PhaseOne P20 back. ISO 50, 1/30s at f1:11. PP in CaptureOne, LR, Nik ColorFX 4.

Thanks all. Shame I wasn't smart enough to switch on the main lights in the studio when I took the shot of the setup! You can see it better in http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/autumn-leaf-detail.14603/ though. The lights are virtually the same but angled from the front left and upper right. I used the same ratio and there is a reflector below the leaf (you can just make it out) and the heads are powered from an asymmetric generator pack. Yes @Rob MacKillop, the camera back is operating in tethered mode (the P backs can be used tethered or stand-alone whereas the older H backs were tethered only) through CaptureOne. The shot is triggered from the body though as the 503CW is a manual camera. You can 'control' an ELM body from the software though and the H system of course (the P39 in Germany is H-fit).

It seems kind of obvious but really we don't tend to actually look at the structure of things that we see common place, well I don't anyway. I like the way this image shows not just the pattern in the leaf but make you take notice of it's shape more.

Note sure how you watch the telly with all that gear in front of the couch! :D

I do like the front lit effect Pete - very crisp against the black

Back