Lisbon on foot

Haha. I just find that sculpture amusing, and perhaps that was the intention. A great dance move. Now to find a costume like that which fits...

Good find, Julian.

I've been to Lisbon twice, and both times there were the scariest storms, thunder and lightening on an incredible scale. I'm not going back a third time!

I never felt the need to know the name or what this spiky thing stands for. However, I just educated myself: an iron monument, modern art authored by Portuguese artist Jorge Vieira, called "Homem-Sol", in English it would be "The Sun Man", 20 meters tall, near the Vasco da Gama Center.

Apud Google: "Monumental sculpture inspired by the Sun, of vaguely anthropomorphic structure, along which ascends angular forms of rods and half-moons, evoking a human figure. It has about 20 meters, 15 tons and iron oxide as the final colour."

There :)

I never felt the need to know the name or what this spiky thing stands for. However, I just educated myself: an iron monument, modern art authored by Portuguese artist Jorge Vieira, called "Homem-Sol", in English it would be "The Sun Man", 20 meters tall, near the Vasco da Gama Center.

Apud Google: "Monumental sculpture inspired by the Sun, of vaguely anthropomorphic structure, along which ascends angular forms of rods and half-moons, evoking a human figure. It has about 20 meters, 15 tons and iron oxide as the final colour."

There :)

These details give some interesting context background for me. 1998, iron. It seems to me that this artist has had a good and rich career. Thank you, Julian.
It's one of the things I do to document 20th century art in my city, so I have a hard time separating the judgment of the photographer's art from the artist's art. On a more general level it's an interesting dilemma: where does the judgment on the subject depicted end and where does the judgment on the person who depicted it begin. The problem arises not only when the subject is an artistic work, but in any context (e.g., even in landscape photography, or portraits, etc.).

Back