Living in a diorama

Chris Bennett

52217219075_34fda8f5a4_b.jpg

Sony NEX 5 converted to full spectrum / Sigma 56mm f/1.4 / 720 nm filter

Your timing is perfect in this shot, Chris. And although I'm not normally a big fan of color IR (or whatever "full spectrum" is--I've been meaning to look into how that differs from IR) the pink palette works spectacularly here. Very nice indeed.

Thanks Brian.
The full spectrum thing is that both the UV and the IR filters have been removed. You select you bandwidth of choice with the use of a lens filter rather than having the removed ones replaced with one over the sensor, which is how a lot of conversions are done. It was originally the b&w side of things that I was interested in, to indulge my love of trees, but the false colour stuff is fun and I haven't seen much street photography done in IR, so I thought it was time to change that! Actually I've been doing a fair bit of that with b&w too.

Last edited:
Wonderfully surreal, Chris. And who knew coral could grow in a high street! :)
One of the things that strikes me as increasing the surrealism, Pete, is the feeling that the various elements that make up the scene are not quite to the same scale as each other. I find that quite fascinating!

Back