Long exposure of the sea

Not sure how long your exposure was (my Exif Viewer is no longer working:mad:) but I think a bit longer may have looked better. Like you say the water does look a bit messy, a longer exposure would probably have smoothed it out more.

Any one know what the 'ideal' long exposure shutter speeds are for that etherial ocean look?

I'm interested in trying this sort of thing myself, I even have some ND filters to help the process

I'd like to do a smooth sea shot with a pin hole camera ... In fact I might do one of the wier near me ... I love this forum for giving me ideas :)

I wonder if these are any good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-CAP-PINHO...474109550QQcategoryZ30066QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

I made one my self one with a body cap, drill, tin foil, a pin and some insulation tape ... It worked but I had trouble working out exposure without knowing what aperture I'd created ...

Last edited:
I think it's just a case of trial and error really with this, after all it's a free medium.

What I would consider next time though is to use the little spit of land and the sign post(?) as a major focal point to your shot.

Also just after sunset and with a few clouds in the sky would make for a great shot.

Vic

Ah, cheers Pete I'll have a mooch through

I got this app on my phone

9012e79e.jpg

It's a basic light meter ... Passable for everyday photography in non complicated lighting situations (just like the iPhone is funnily enough) as you can see, it's range goes to very small apertures and long shutter speeds so it's perfect for this sort of application I reckon!?

Not sure how long your exposure was (my Exif Viewer is no longer working:mad:) but I think a bit longer may have looked better. Like you say the water does look a bit messy, a longer exposure would probably have smoothed it out more.

:) The Basic EXIf data is...

Exposure 3
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 18 mm
ISO Speed 200

I would have liked to have been able to wait a bit longer for it to get darker but A) the sunset was fading fast and B) it was blooming freeeeezing, and I dont really feel the cold that much!

I hadnt really planned to do the shot really but found a perfect perch for the camera on a concrete wall and decided to give it a go, even I was getting funny looks, kneeling on said wall lol. but its something I want to keep on practising at it and it did go a little way to curing my shyness with the camera in public when theres loads of people about!

Alastair,

You would be surprised as to the colours you get, or rather the camera sees after the sunset. I would go back again fore shore (hehe). I have a contact on flickr who does alot of this type of work. I'll dig him out and post a link.

Back